ACLU Wants You to RSVP to Mitch and Cam’s Wedding on Modern Family
The show’s gay characters, Mitchell Pritchett (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) and Cameron Tucker (Eric Stonestreet), aren’t officially engaged, but are happily partnered and co-parent a sweet (er, sassy) daughter, Lily. ACLU’s Executive Director Anthony D. Romero hopes to persuade show creators Steven Levitan and Christopher Lloyd that such an episode would be a hit.
With this light-hearted campaign for a TV wedding, there’s a serious message motivating it. The civil-rights organization is hoping to draw attention to the Supreme Court’s upcoming decisions on the Defense of Marriage Act and Proposition 8, which restrict marriage rights. (The rulings are slated for June.)
“The freedom to marry is being advanced in American living rooms as much as in court rooms,” Romero said in a statement. “As we wait for the Supreme Court to rule, we want to keep this issue on the minds and screens of Americans everywhere.”
The ACLU hopes to attract 750,000 online supporters for the campaign, at which point the organization plans to present its “guest list” to Levitan and Lloyd.
Will you add your name to the guest list? Click below for more information.
In real life, Jesse Tyler Ferguson is actually engaged to his partner Justin Mikita. Watch their adorable video here, and check out our inspiration boards for their upcoming wedding here. —Kirsten Ott Palladino
Photo via ABC. Image via ACLU.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- Summer luxe wedding inspiration at Summerour Studio in Atlanta
- Clarence Thomas says marriage equality ruling should be overturned
- A homophobic bride refused to hire a gay makeup artist for her wedding
- Having a wedding ring means I have to come out again and again
- I was insecure about not wanting a traditional wedding—until now
- Sunset engagement photos in Palm Springs, California
- Engagement photos in San Diego and Los Angeles, California
- Don’t make these 5 mistakes when choosing a sperm bank
- Alabama mayor suggests killing LGBTQ+ people and other LGBTQ+ news
- A ‘Straight Pride’ parade is planned and people are very upset