Barn meets ballroom in this upscale Kentucky wedding
Will and Nate’s upscale June 2019 wedding took place at Louisville, Kentucky’s Hazelnut Farm.
“Our venue is a barn meets ballroom feel,” the couple says, “so we tried to focus on an upscale Kentucky vibe.”
Nate proposed on his own birthday to Will in front of friends at dinner by saying, “The only thing that could make tonight more perfect is if Will would agree to spend the rest of our lives together.”
What advice would you give to engaged LGBTQ+ couples?
Make your wedding a celebration of you! There are no rules, so show your personalities, interests, and love off to everyone you ask to be part of your special day!
What advice do you have for vendors and venues working with LGBTQ+ couples?
Don’t use “his/hers” or “bride/groom” in contracts or when speaking to LGBTQ+ couples. Be aware of who is actually in front of you and how they would want to be addressed.
What challenges did you face as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
Because there are no rules, the freedom was kind of overwhelming! Who walks who in? What dances will we have? We used every opportunity to show off some element of our relationship. We love our families, our home state of Kentucky and bourbon, so we made sure that was reflected in our ceremony.
Did you encounter any pleasant surprises as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
Nate surprised Will and his mom by cutting in to dance with her during their mother/son dance. Nate got close to Will’s mom in the years leading up to the wedding because we had all lived together.
Search our directory of LGBTQ+ inclusive vendors.
Photographer: Sarah Katherine Davis Photography
Venue: Hazelnut Farm
Planner: Melissa Montgomery with Honeycomb Wedding Planners
DJ: Triangle Talent
Attire for Partner 1: Vintage wingtips; Tommy Hilfiger suit
Attendant Attire: Davids Bridal
Calligraphy (table numbers, seating chart): Michelle Marie Calligraphy
Comments are closed.
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Quirky and sweet Colorado couple’s scene-matching city photo shoot
- A new bill aims to protect same-sex marriage. What would it do if Obergefell falls?
- Sentimental Elements Shine For These Two Brides’ Virginia Beach Wedding Featuring Bourbon, Rainbows and a Plethora of Family Support
- Colorful New York Rainbow Wedding Featuring A Drag Queen, Handmade Arch and Boho Decor
- Booksmart Actress Beanie Feldstein Engaged to Bonnie Chance Roberts
- Ohio Fall Wedding with Irish Hand Fasting
- Sunrise engagement session on the beach of Asbury Park New Jersey
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC
- An intimate wedding at Smale Riverfront Park in Cincinnati, OH