Black gothic wedding with skulls, swords and magic
Ivy and Terry both love black, so they celebrated with an all-black gothic wedding featuring skulls, swords and magic that suits their last name, Rebel. They got married in May in Nevada City, California, after a one-year engagement (they both proposed to each other).
What advice would you give to engaged LGBTQ+ couples?
To be yourself wholeheartedly, focus on the love that you two have. Always communicate with one another and keep the fire alive.
Who walked down the aisle and with whom? Or who (if anyone) waited at the front?
Terry’s dad walked her down the aisle, Ivy’s stepdad walked her down the aisle and Ivy’s dad was our officiant.
What challenges did you face as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
My wife and I were lucky that we have such supportive friends and family members who wanted nothing but to help us throughout the entire wedding planning.
Did you encounter any pleasant surprises as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
Terry: It was a pleasant surprise that my father was so emotional during the wedding; I’ve never since him cry my whole 29 years of life up until his wedding speech. It was really heartwarming. It was just really moving to have everyone we love in one room expressing their love and support for us.
Photographer: Ed Gold
Venue: Harmony Ridge Lodge
DJ: Alex Iverson
Videographer: Ryan Ray Say
Alaina Leary Lavoie
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal
- Heather + Tiffany: Sunday morning brunch love shoot
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married
- Wedding suit inspiration from 6 top queer influencers for your big day