Boy Scouts of America welcome first transgender boy
At the end of January, the Boy Scouts of America began registering and accepting transgender boys. This welcome change was put in place after a nine year old boy from New Jersey was kicked out of the Boy Scouts because he was transgender. Once leaders and parents complained about the boy, Joe Maldonado, he was asked to leave his Cub Scout pack.
Since the change has been put in place, Maldonado has returned to being a Cub Scout. Katie Couric sat down with Maldonado to discuss the changes that have been brought about with the Boy Scouts of America. The interview, featured on Yahoo News, can be watched below.
Although he was invited back to his original Cub Scout pack, Maldonado’s mother felt uncomfortable sending him back to the original pack that discriminated against her child and instead her son has joined a nearby pack.
“She is also considering whether to pursue legal action against the North New Jersey Council of Boy Scouts, despite the change in national policy,” according to Yahoo News. “She said, ‘Because I feel like they still discriminated against my kid. They threw him out.'”
Maldonado will continue to be an inspiration for transgender children and pave the way for even more transgender boys to join the Boy Scouts.
Featured image via CBS News
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married
- Wedding suit inspiration from 6 top queer influencers for your big day
- Nicole + Andrea: New York multicultural wedding with Caribbean roots (their first look photos are the sweetest!)
- New Orleans industrial wedding inspiration shoot