Bridegroom An Emotional Documentary on Marriage Equality and Human Rights
By Kirsten Palladino
Bridegroom is a documentary film by director Linda Bloodworth Thompson that tells the emotional journey of Shane Bitney Crone and Tom Bridegroom, two young men in a loving and committed relationship that was cut tragically short. The story of what happened after Tom’s accidental death—of how people in relationships without the legal protections of marriage can find themselves completely shut out and ostracized by family members—is poignant, provoking and opens a window into the issue of marriage equality and human rights.
From Shane Bitney Crone, producer/subject of the documentary film “Bridegroom”:
Our hope is that “Bridegroom” will inspire people to live their lives honestly, to fall in love deeply, and to fight for the rights of people who are being treated like second class citizens. I hope that the film helps parents love their children unconditionally and helps anyone struggling with their identity to embrace who they are and to live a life free of shame.
No little boy or girl lies in bed at night dreaming of wearing a handsome tuxedo or a beautiful white dress during a domestic partnership ceremony. The dream, if he or she wants it, is to get married.
We have a long road ahead of us until we will have marriage equality across the entire nation, but hopefully “Bridegroom” can help us achieve our goal a little faster as we go state by state. It’s too late for my partner Tom and I to get married but it’s not too late for America to live up to its symbol of freedom. There is no freedom until we are equal.
Love is love. Loss is loss and at the end of the day we are all human and we all just want to be happy and treated equally.
Watch this official trailer and then tune in for premiere of Bridegroom on OWN on Sunday, October 27 at 10/9c.
This Sunday, October 27, OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network will present a special night of programming about being gay in America, beginning at 9 p.m. ET/PT with “Oprah’s Next Chapter: Gay Hollywood” followed by the world television premiere of the acclaimed documentary film “Bridegroom” at 10 p.m. ET/PT.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- LGBTQ+ family planning: be the parents you’ve always dreamed of with the help of Cryos
- These Disney LGBTQ+ weddings are pure magic
- Here’s how we decided to get married in Provincetown, Massachusetts
- Colorful, whimsical spring backyard wedding in Austin, Texas
- Rustic, moody farm wedding inspiration in Purcellville, Virginia
- Beach honeymoon photos in Bora Bora
- Why we chose an anonymous sperm donor to start a family
- Northern Ireland politician reverses stance on same-sex marriage after daughter marries woman
- 8 literary favors for your bookish or library themed wedding
- Colorful whimsical vintage wedding inspiration in Chattanooga, Tennessee