By Melissa Noble
If you were lucky enough to venture out this weekend and catch Judd Apatow’s latest flick, Bridesmaids, than it’s likely you left the theater sore from laughing. Reviews have called the movie about a pack of bridesmaids readying for the big day both “touching,” “stiletto-sharp” and “raunchy.” One can liken the Kristen Wiig-penned comedy as a pink version of The Hangover with a dash of estrogen-infused sentiment. But just a dash.
Regardless of the movie’s inherent charm factor, we found ourselves repeating the phrase “one of these things is not like the other” every time we passed the movie poster of the bride and her five cohorts in their bubblegum pink dresses.
Why is the token plus-size bridesmaid, the wonderful Melissa McCarthy, covered in a dowdy mother-of-the-bride kind of a thing and not outfitted in a saucy little number like the rest of the ladies? Maybe she requested more coverage, but if not, did the producers assume that the public is phobic of arms and a décolleté a little fleshier than the norm?
Incensed for bigger girls everywhere, we scoured through bridesmaids dresses and found four that don’t compromise sexy for a size 16 or higher size tag. Disclaimer: all the models are typical model-sized, natch.
David’s Bridal, up to size 26. A strapless silk dress with chiffon flowering on the bodice. Available in 42 colors, including this cheery cobalt blue.
Cynthia Rowley, up to size 30W. Duchess Satin cocktail-length dress. Comes in 15 colors.
Sydney’s Closet, “Selena,” up to size 20. This polyester chiffon A-line dress with an open back allows for ultimate movement without sacrificing style.
Sydney’s Closet, “Maria,” up to size 28. A “flirty” strapless dress made from luxe taffeta offered in black, bordeaux, cranberry, darkish green or navy.
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- An incredible educational offer for wedding and event pros
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal
- Heather + Tiffany: Sunday morning brunch love shoot
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot