Celebrity lesbian wedding news: former Miss America winner Deidre Downs Gunn marries Abbott Jones in Alabama
Former Miss America winner Deidre Downs Gunn married attorney and writer Abbott Jones on Saturday in a romantic ceremony in Birmingham, Alabama, according to People magazine.
The romantic Southern affair was held at Birmingham Museum of Art. Downs Gunn, 37, who won the title of Miss America in 2005, told People, “Saying our vows in front of our family and friends and making that commitment to the love of my life was the most meaningful part of the day for me.”
The pageant winner now works as an obstetrician-gynecologist specializing in reproductive endocrinology and infertility, an accomplishment the couple acknowledged by using the wedding hashtag #DrandMrsAmerica.
People reports that the ceremony and the reception—which were planned by celebrated Southern wedding planners at Invision Events and captured by Kelli & Daniel Taylor Photography—were filled with white fabric, neutral pastel flowers and plenty of candlelight.
“I feel overjoyed to have found someone to share life’s adventures,” Downs Gunn tells PEOPLE. “The wedding was beautiful and special, but it was really just the beginning of our life together. I’m so lucky to have a wife who fills even small, everyday moments with great joy.”
One of the most special moments of the day was Downs Gunn’s 8-year-old son escorting her down the aisle as well as serving as her best man.
The couple served Southern food at the Alabama affair, including including mini chicken and waffles, fried okra, fried green tomatoes and buttermilk biscuits.
Equally Wed Editors
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Colorful New York Rainbow Wedding Featuring A Drag Queen, Handmade Arch and Boho Decor
- Booksmart Actress Beanie Feldstein Engaged to Bonnie Chance Roberts
- Ohio Fall Wedding with Irish Hand Fasting
- Sunrise engagement session on the beach of Asbury Park New Jersey
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC
- An intimate wedding at Smale Riverfront Park in Cincinnati, OH
- Good Omens–inspired styled elopement with angelic forms, red poppies, goblets and crosses
- Intimate Mountain Wedding in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada
- Intimate garden wedding and “booze cruise” boat dance party in Salem, Massachusetts