City hall elopement with delectable orange and white autumn cake
Chandler and Najma married at City Hall in New Haven, Connecticut in what they describe as an “effortless city elopement with muted fall colors and smokey pastels.”
The day was made extra special by Chandler’s mom, who acted as photographer.
Tell us about the proposal(s)
We both proposed in the Maldives. She asked with a ring and when she turned back around I grabbed hers and asked her too. We had just finished a month long clinical rotation in Mysore, India and took the weekend before traveling home. We met at our medical school interview. 4 years later we eloped before beginning our lives as Emergency Medicine physicians. In these uncertain times, Love is always the answer.
What advice would you give to engaged LGBTQ+ couples?
With the recent Supreme Court nomination, we felt deep sadness, fear and frustration. We decided to elope before her appointment in protest and to loudly declare that EVERYONE deserves the right to marry their love. Even when hatred seems to fill the world around you, love wins. Over and over again, love wins.
What challenges did you face as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
We were fortunate enough to be in an LGBTQIA friendly city and were so well received at City Hall and as we explored the city for pictures.
Did you encounter any pleasant surprises as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
The acceptance and love from our friends and loved ones.
Search our directory of LGBTQ+ inclusive vendors.
Venue: New Haven City Hall
Florist: Bloomshop; Fern and Sun Palm
Cake: 22 Candles
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Pantone announces its 2023 color of the year
- Emily, Willie and Sarah’s DIY throuple wedding at the Inn on the Russian River in Monte Rio, California
- 10 things you need to create that perfect rainbow wedding
- Senate advances Respect for Marriage Act to protect recognition of marriage equality
- 10 ways to use burnt orange in your wedding
- Tam and Yiyun’s intimate summer wedding at Folktale Winery and Vineyards in Carmel Valley, California
- Stefany and Britt’s queer, nonbinary wedding at the Lace House in Columbia, South Carolina
- Priscilla and Jamesa’s fall wedding in Nashville, Tennessee, featured harvest hues of gold, burnt orange, terracotta rust and dusty rose
- Lindsey and Molly’s Christian wedding in New Bern, North Carolina, showcased their two dogs and had a dried flower confetti send-off
- Alyssa and Holly’s Colorado adventure session in Rocky Mountain National Park
- LGBTQ+ Inclusive and Affirming Wedding Venue Spotlight: Filoli
- Halle and Kayden’s Mount Rainier National Park Destination Wedding