City hall elopement with delectable orange and white autumn cake
Chandler and Najma married at City Hall in New Haven, Connecticut in what they describe as an “effortless city elopement with muted fall colors and smokey pastels.”
The day was made extra special by Chandler’s mom, who acted as photographer.
Tell us about the proposal(s)
We both proposed in the Maldives. She asked with a ring and when she turned back around I grabbed hers and asked her too. We had just finished a month long clinical rotation in Mysore, India and took the weekend before traveling home. We met at our medical school interview. 4 years later we eloped before beginning our lives as Emergency Medicine physicians. In these uncertain times, Love is always the answer.
What advice would you give to engaged LGBTQ+ couples?
With the recent Supreme Court nomination, we felt deep sadness, fear and frustration. We decided to elope before her appointment in protest and to loudly declare that EVERYONE deserves the right to marry their love. Even when hatred seems to fill the world around you, love wins. Over and over again, love wins.
What challenges did you face as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
We were fortunate enough to be in an LGBTQIA friendly city and were so well received at City Hall and as we explored the city for pictures.
Did you encounter any pleasant surprises as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
The acceptance and love from our friends and loved ones.
Search our directory of LGBTQ+ inclusive vendors.
Venue: New Haven City Hall
Florist: Bloomshop; Fern and Sun Palm
Cake: 22 Candles
Submit your LGBTQ+ wedding, engagement or family story for editorial consideration.
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- How to celebrate International Transgender Day of Visibility
- A winter wedding in Orlando, Florida, celebrating two brides and their son with a spiritual ceremony and vegan cake
- Lizzo and YITTY launch a gender-neutral shapewear line
- This destination elopement in Central Park featured couture velvet suit jackets and Star Wars cufflinks
- In celebration and memory of LGBTQ+ icon Paul O’Grady
- From a New York first date to a New Orleans fall LGBTQ+ wedding with a second line and Polaroid guest book
- Yes, you should schedule an engagement photoshoot!
- These grooms walked down the aisle together with their dog in their outdoor Savannah, Georgia, LGBTQ+ wedding