Colorful and glamorous wedding at historic Hollywood house
Ron and Blake’s wedding took place at Hollywood’s famous Sowden House . The neo-Mayan mansion was designed by Lloyd Wright, the son of renowned architect Frank Lloyd Wright. Ron and Blake were lucky enough to have friends, Dan and Jenny, who owned the house.
“When we first came to the Sowden House for a special event, we were absolutely blown away by the beauty and uniqueness of the space,” said Ron. “We jokingly asked Jenny if we could have our wedding here, and Jenny being the amazing person she is, had no qualms about it. Dan and Jenny essentially welcomed us and 65 of our friends and family into their home.”
To honor the aesthetics of the space, Blake and Ron utilized wild, hand-picked, forest-themed florals.
“[Our florist, Royal Bee Flower Co.] actually went foraging in the woods,” Blake says.
The couple also created a unique menu of Filipino-Canadian and Cajun-Creole fusion.
Because they didn’t want to get married in front of a crowd, Ron and Blake actually tied the knot a few days before the celebration. Then, instead of a ceremony, they put on a skit for their guests telling the story of their love.
The couple’s dog, Bowie, who they rescued the year prior, made a surprise appearance, stealing the show in a bespoke dog tux made in Paris. Overall, it was important to Ron and Blake that their wedding be focused on good food, good music, and appreciating the uniqueness of the venue.
Search our directory of LGBTQ+ inclusive vendors.
Photographer: Erin Marton Photography
Venue: The Sowden House
Florist: Royal Bee Flower Co.
Planner and Caterer: GourMel Catering & Events
DJ: DJ Buddy
Invitation Designer: Shawn LeBlanc
Makeup: Elide Samperio
Hair: Pony Lee Musgraves and David Bailey of Salon Folklore
Wedding Submission Services: Published + Pretty
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Senate advances Respect for Marriage Act to protect recognition of marriage equality
- 10 ways to use burnt orange in your wedding
- Tam and Yiyun’s intimate summer wedding at Folktale Winery and Vineyards in Carmel Valley, California
- Stefany and Britt’s queer, nonbinary wedding at the Lace House in Columbia, South Carolina
- Priscilla and Jamesa’s fall wedding in Nashville, Tennessee, featured harvest hues of gold, burnt orange, terracotta rust and dusty rose
- Lindsey and Molly’s Christian wedding in New Bern, North Carolina, showcased their two dogs and had a dried flower confetti send-off
- Alyssa and Holly’s Colorado adventure session in Rocky Mountain National Park
- LGBTQ+ Inclusive and Affirming Wedding Venue Spotlight: Filoli
- Halle and Kayden’s Mount Rainier National Park Destination Wedding
- Where to propose at Universal Studios Florida and Universal’s Islands of Adventure
- How to plan a fall wedding on a budget
- 5 mocktail recipes for your sober wedding guests