Colorful, eclectic Indianapolis wedding
Megan and Allyson wanted a wedding filled with fun and color. The vibe, they say, was “groovy and eclectic.”
The couple married in October at the The Nest Event Center in Indianapolis, with Megan’s aunt officiating.
What advice would you give to engaged LGBTQ+ couples?
Take your time in planning your big day. It’s a testament to a right that’s so fundamental, yet wasn’t always afforded to LGBTQ+ couples. Also, don’t ever limit yourself in including anything that’s tradition in a straight couple’s wedding. Have two bachelor parties, throw two bouquets, shove that cake in your partner’s face! We’re all equally wed.
What advice do you have for vendors and venues working with LGBTQ+ couples?
ASK QUESTIONS! If you’re unsure of something, then ask the question. Be open with LGBTQ+ couples. It makes us feel like you care about getting it right.
What challenges did you face as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
Logistics. It was a challenge working out the things straight couples don’t have to think about. Who will walk down the aisle first? How will we pronounce the married couple? Is three daddy-daughter dances too many? Two heads of hair, two faces for makeup (this was rough)! While we are feminists, there’s no denying…two brides are tougher than one!
Did you encounter any pleasant surprises as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
Our vendors were amazing. For most of them we were their first same-sex wedding. They were all so excited, open-minded, and amazing to work with.
Search our directory of LGBTQ+ inclusive vendors.
Photographer: Tessa Tillett Robbins Photography
Venue: The Nest Event Center
Florist: The Marshmallow Monkey
DJ: DJ Iron Lion
Invitations: Greetings Island
Attendant Attire: Azazie
Caterer: Sweet and Savory
Cake: Nothing Bundt Cakes
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Jamie and Ashley’s florescent and fun May wedding at Greenhouse Lofts in Chicago
- Simple and elegant winter wedding for two brides in Santa Ana, California
- Low-key Louisville, Kentucky, wedding celebrates chosen family, queer joy and spirituality
- A weed wedding with earthy, elegant details
- Romantic Santorini sunset proposal
- Outdoor summer wedding in Acadia National Park
- New Mexico Badlands multicultural boho lesbian elopement
- Get inspired by the romantic vibes at this Minneapolis candlelit wedding
- Quirky and sweet Colorado couple’s scene-matching city photo shoot
- A new bill aims to protect same-sex marriage. What would it do if Obergefell falls?
- Sentimental Elements Shine For These Two Brides’ Virginia Beach Wedding Featuring Bourbon, Rainbows and a Plethora of Family Support
- Colorful New York Rainbow Wedding Featuring A Drag Queen, Handmade Arch and Boho Decor