6 ideas for first dance songs by LGBTQ+ music artists
The sky is the limit when it comes to first dance songs. Your song could be slow, upbeat, a medley, or a single song. It could be choreographed, spontaneous, or somewhere in between.
But the first step is choosing which song you’re going to use for that special moment.
If you still haven’t found that perfect first dance song, check out these six love songs by LGBTQ+ music artists.
Girl by The Internet
Girl is featured on The Internet’s album Ego Death, which in 2016 was nominated for a Grammy for Best Urban Contemporary Album. In this love song, lead singer Syd says, “I can give you the life you deserve, just say the word, baby and I got you, darlin’ I got you.”
Thinkin Bout You by Frank Ocean
In this song, Frank Ocean sings that he has “been thinking bout forever” with the person he loves.
Honey by Kehlani
In this soft and sweet love song, Kehlani sings about the utter joy of being in love, proclaiming “All the pretty girls in the world, But I’m in this space with you.”
What a Beautiful Day by Brett Every
For those looking for something to explicitly celebrate their sexuality, Brett Every’s What a Beautiful Day is the perfect choice. This song tells the story of two men getting married with the acceptance of their family and friends. It even acknowledges the joy of marriage equality.
She Keeps Me Warm by Mary Lambert
This classic that proclaims “I can’t change, even if I tried,” will never fail to bring a tear to your guests’ eyes. Mary Lambert sings, “She says I smell like safety and home. I named both of her eyes forever and please-don’t-go. I could be a morning sunrise all the time, all the time, yeah. This could be good, this could be good”
My Guy by Kele Okereke
Kele Okereke recorded this song as part of a 2018 project called Universal Love–Wedding Songs Reimagined. The album, featuring artists like Kesha and Bob Dylan, involved re-recording popular wedding songs with new pronouns. In My Guy, Kele Okereke reimagines The Temptations song, My Girl.
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Jamie and Ashley’s florescent and fun May wedding at Greenhouse Lofts in Chicago
- Simple and elegant winter wedding for two brides in Santa Ana, California
- Low-key Louisville, Kentucky, wedding celebrates chosen family, queer joy and spirituality
- A weed wedding with earthy, elegant details
- Romantic Santorini sunset proposal
- Outdoor summer wedding in Acadia National Park
- New Mexico Badlands multicultural boho lesbian elopement
- Get inspired by the romantic vibes at this Minneapolis candlelit wedding
- Quirky and sweet Colorado couple’s scene-matching city photo shoot
- A new bill aims to protect same-sex marriage. What would it do if Obergefell falls?
- Sentimental Elements Shine For These Two Brides’ Virginia Beach Wedding Featuring Bourbon, Rainbows and a Plethora of Family Support
- Colorful New York Rainbow Wedding Featuring A Drag Queen, Handmade Arch and Boho Decor