Couple sues Kim Davis, and you can too!
It’s no question that Kim Davis has done her share of wrong and then some when it comes to the LGBTQ community. The clerk in Rowan County, Kentucky, is known for refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples on the grounds that it was against God’s authority. It was ruled by a federal appeals court on May 2 that those affected by Davis’s actions during her time as county clerk have the ability to sue her for damages.
“Last August, a U.S. District judge dismissed same-sex couples’ case against Davis on the grounds that Kentucky had changed its marriage-license policy. But the Sixth Circuit Court reversed that decision, saying that the policy change doesn’t eliminate the harm Davis caused the couples,” New York Magazine cited.
Even with the changes of law nationwide regarding same-sex marriage, continued to do what she wanted because, apparently, the law does not apply to her.
“Since the Supreme Court made marriage equality the law of the land, Davis, an elected clerk, has denied marriage licenses to all eligible couples, gay and straight alike, claiming that her Christian faith prevents her from supporting any authentication of the view that gay and lesbian couples can marry,” according to New York magazine.
David Ermold and David Moore sued Davis on the grounds that they were not challenging Davis’s policies but instead seeking damages based on suffering and harm done to them. Their case will be going to the U.S. district judge, which originally turned down their case on the basis that Kentucky had changed its marriage license policy. If the ruling does not go in Davis’s favor this time, she will be forced to pay damages to Moore and Ermold.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
Follow Equally Wed on Instagram!
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- New Orleans industrial wedding inspiration shoot
- Danika + Cassidy: a Chicago engagement photoshoot with salsa dancing
- Reclaiming Asian pride: a San Diego private prenuptial tea-and-cocktail celebration
- Anthony + Paul: boho-lux Portugal destination wedding
- Lakesha + Nikia: Decatur, Ga. outdoor wedding during the coronavirus
- David + Andrew: Midwestern Pride Wedding Giveaway winners marry
- Romantic Vancouver elopement inspiration
- David + Anthony: Natural, earthy and warm Milwaukee, Wisconsin, wedding
- Jenny + Robin: a record-breaking cruise ship wedding vow renewal
- Meagan + Kristyn: an Austin, Texas, luxury outdoor wedding