Couple sues Kim Davis, and you can too!
It’s no question that Kim Davis has done her share of wrong and then some when it comes to the LGBTQ community. The clerk in Rowan County, Kentucky, is known for refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples on the grounds that it was against God’s authority. It was ruled by a federal appeals court on May 2 that those affected by Davis’s actions during her time as county clerk have the ability to sue her for damages.
“Last August, a U.S. District judge dismissed same-sex couples’ case against Davis on the grounds that Kentucky had changed its marriage-license policy. But the Sixth Circuit Court reversed that decision, saying that the policy change doesn’t eliminate the harm Davis caused the couples,” New York Magazine cited.
Even with the changes of law nationwide regarding same-sex marriage, continued to do what she wanted because, apparently, the law does not apply to her.
“Since the Supreme Court made marriage equality the law of the land, Davis, an elected clerk, has denied marriage licenses to all eligible couples, gay and straight alike, claiming that her Christian faith prevents her from supporting any authentication of the view that gay and lesbian couples can marry,” according to New York magazine.
David Ermold and David Moore sued Davis on the grounds that they were not challenging Davis’s policies but instead seeking damages based on suffering and harm done to them. Their case will be going to the U.S. district judge, which originally turned down their case on the basis that Kentucky had changed its marriage license policy. If the ruling does not go in Davis’s favor this time, she will be forced to pay damages to Moore and Ermold.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Reports: Supreme Court appeared divided over protections for LGBTQ employees
- Black tie wedding at the Blanton Museum in Austin, Texas
- With Brie Larson’s help, a man proposed to his boyfriend at Comic Con
- This romantic sunset proposal at OUE Skyspace has a beautiful backstory
- Vintage travel-inspired fall wedding in Iowa City, Iowa
- Teal and orange fall wedding inspiration in Lake Mary, Florida
- This scavenger hunt at Gas Works Park ends with a proposal
- Moody fall photos turned surprise proposal in San Antonio, Texas
- This couples’ portrait session turned into the sweetest surprise proposal
- What our editors are reading & loving on October 9, 2019