By Brittny Drye
This summer saw an array of bold lip colors, from ruby reds to corals, tangerines to girlish pinks, and I foresee this statement-making trend translating into fall, with, of course, some minor alterations in fall-friendly shades.
Admittedly, it takes a bold bride to pull off this bold look, and your wedding day isn’t ideal for experimentation, but for those of you who like to make a statement, read on for tips and picks.
|Prep Your Pout: Bold lips exaggerate flakes, so exfoliate before to ensure a smooth and seamless application.|
|Complement Your Skin: Not all colors are going to look great on everyone so go bold with a color that suits your skin tone. A general rule of thumb is blue-based shades, like classic red, pair well with fair skin, while orange-based shades, such as browns and burgundys, go with warmer skin tones. Try out different shades to see what works with you.|
|Color Inside the Lines: Keep dark shades in place with a lip liner or stain that matches your lipstick.|
Urban Decay Lip Envy Lip Stain in Greedy: This berry-hued water-rich stain dries to a semi-matte finish for those who want to steer away from the glossy look. Available at Sephora for $17.
COVERGIRL BlastFlipstick in Flashy: The double-ended stick lets you create a customized look, giving brides control over how creamy or shimmery they want their lips to be. Available at for $7.99.
IT Cosmetics Vitality Lip Flush in Pretty Woman: This multitasking shade in a pretty plum hue keeps lips hydrated while providing long-lasting color. Available at itcosmetics.com for $20.
Bare Escentuals Buxom Lip Tarnish in Blackmail: This lip pencil is the trifecta of lip color–not only is it long-lasting, but it also plumps and moisturizes your pout. Available at Sephora for $18.
Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar in Belladonna: A little goes a long way with this richly pigmented violet shade for a high-impact pout. Available at occmakeup.com for $14.50.
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Mashaun + Elvis: Georgia wedding with amethyst and aquamarine birthstone colors
- We said yes! Now what? LGBTQ+ engagement advice
- Christian + Clifton: An intimate hometown Ohio wedding
- Celebrity LGBTQ+ wedding alert! Niecy Nash marries Jessica Betts
- Angelina + Krista: Glamorous luxury lesbian wedding at the renowned Versace mansion in Miami Beach, Florida
- You’re invited to the biggest, queerest wedding of the year
- Tavion + Andrew: A Greenville, South Carolina, summer LGBTQ+ wedding with rose petal exit
- An incredible educational offer for wedding and event pros
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal