George H.W. Bush Witnesses Same-Sex Wedding
President George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush attended and witnessed the wedding of friends in a same-sex ceremony in Maine this past weekend.
Bonnie Clement and Helen Thorgalsen, who own HB Provisions, a Kennebunk, Maine, general store, got the former president’s official stamp of approval despite the fact that Bush has not officially declared his position on same sex-marriage.
Helen Thorgalsen posted this photo of President George H.W. Bush on her Facebook page with the comment, “Getting our marriage license witnessed!” and tagging her new wife, Bonnie Clement.
“This has been a wonderful wedding experience for us and we were honored to have President and Mrs. Bush not only in attendance but also happy to sign our license,” Thorgalsen, who is with her wife on their honeymoon in London, told ABC News.
“As Nancy Sosa, our officiant, said, ‘God did not make a love that is wrong.’ If we can make a difference in the world with our wedding and marriage, we are thrilled,” she added.
Thorgalsen posted a photo of Bush signing the marriage license on Facebook over the weekend.
“They were private citizens attending a private ceremony for two friends,” said Bush spokesman Jim McGrath.
Same-sex marriage was made legal in Maine in December 2012. By Abby Phillip, ABC News
This article was republished with express written permission from ABC News. Read the full article at http://abcn.ws/1fo4eM8.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- What we love about the Renault Clio car ad celebrating a 30-year lesbian romance
- Ellen DeGeneres surprised lesbian couple whose family won’t attend wedding
- Romantic, industrial fall wedding with Indian cultural touches
- Chick-fil-A will stop donating to (some) anti-LGBTQ+ organizations
- Rustic orange and yellow autumn wedding in Norfolk, Massachusetts
- Home anniversary photos to celebrate one year of marriage
- Black gothic wedding with skulls, swords and magic
- American Psychological Association says singular ‘they’ now the standard for scholarly writing
- Roxane Gay and Debbie Millman are officially engaged
- This mom’s wedding speech will make you cry in the best way