Glamorous Rupaul’s Drag Race-inspired Wedding with custom gold gown and emerald tuxedo
Daniel and Marty’s Buffalo, New York wedding was inspired by their love of Rupaul’s Drag Race. From illustrated drag queen drawings on the paper goods to tables named after drag queens, the celebration was endlessly fabulous.
What’s more, Daniel’s passion for fashion led him to partner with Guillermo Couture , which created his incredible custom gold wedding gown. The gown included a detachable hoop skirt that Daniel could switch out for gold pants at the party. Guillermo Couture also designed Marty’s stylish emerald tuxedo.
The decor for the big day was centered on moody and jewel toned colors. There were tall palm leaf centerpieces, charcoal velvet linens, and a black and white dance floor.
What was the overall vibe of the wedding?
The overall vibe of our wedding was a dance party. We spent a lot of time discussing music and what would get people up and moving. Ultimately, when we met with our DJ, Jonjon Battles , for the first time he said our music selections sounded like what he would play at his own wedding. That’s when we knew we had gotten it right. We also wanted to highlight Buffalo, so we chose the Hotel Henry, which reinvented the historic landmark H.H. Richardson building and was convenient for our guests who mostly came from out of town. The temple we were married in, Temple Beth Zion, also is a historic landmark, so we used the fabulous architecture of Buffalo as our backdrop.
What advice do you have for other LGBTQ couples planning a wedding?
The number one piece of advice would be not to feel constrained by heteronormativity. There is no play book or model, so just make sure everything reflects your love and style. Also, try to have fun with the planning–the more fun you have planning the wedding, the more fun your guests will have at the wedding.
What advice do you have for vendors working with LGBTQ couples?
Don’t assume that the experience will be any different from working with straight couples, but don’t assume it will be the same either. We fed off of the creativity of our vendors and went with people who were inspired by our vision and excited to help us achieve it.
Search our directory of LGBTQ+ inclusive vendors.
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Get inspired by the romantic vibes at this Minneapolis candlelit wedding
- Quirky and sweet Colorado couple’s scene-matching city photo shoot
- A new bill aims to protect same-sex marriage. What would it do if Obergefell falls?
- Sentimental Elements Shine For These Two Brides’ Virginia Beach Wedding Featuring Bourbon, Rainbows and a Plethora of Family Support
- Colorful New York Rainbow Wedding Featuring A Drag Queen, Handmade Arch and Boho Decor
- Booksmart Actress Beanie Feldstein Engaged to Bonnie Chance Roberts
- Ohio Fall Wedding with Irish Hand Fasting
- Sunrise engagement session on the beach of Asbury Park New Jersey
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC