Harry Styles helps fan come out to parent and more LGBTQ+ family news this week
All families are different. There’s no right way to make a family, unless you subscribe to the government’s idea of a heterosexual family. This week we’re celebrating families of all kinds, no matter what politicians have to say about them.
Volvo designs LGBTQ+ family parking spaces
As part of their latest campaign, Volvo redesigned some family parking spaces at the Westfield Center in London to portray real life families. The inclusive spaces include grandparents, same-sex parents, multi-parent households and families with multiple children.
“As the contemporary iteration of our mid-size family estate, the V60 perfectly reflects our human-centric approach to car design which aims to make its owners’ lives easier and safer,” says Mike Johnstone, Marketing Strategy Director of Volvo Car UK.
Congress Republicans are fighting for the right to stop gay couples from adopting
Republicans in Congress are supporting an amendment that would allow agencies to deny adoptions to same-sex couples.
“The provision introduced by GOP Rep. Robert Aderholt, would grant a broad license to taxpayer-funded adoption agencies, allowing them to deny same-sex couples the ability to adopt a child based on religious objections,” shares PinkNews.
The amendment was attached to a finance bill which was approved by a committee vote of 29-23 along party lines with only one Rebpublican, Representative Scott Taylor, breaking party lines.
If the amendment stays paired with the bill and gets passed through Congress, child welfare would be allowed to turn away prospective parents based strictly on the agency’s religious beliefs.”
Harry Styles helps fan come out to parent
Coming out to a family member can cause stress and anxiety. For one lucky fan, singer Harry Styles was there to make the moment easier during his concert in San Jose, Texas. During the show a fan’s sign caught Styles’ eye.
“I’m going to come out to my parents because of you,” read the fan’s sign.
Styles spoke with the fan, whose name is Grace, and asked for her mom’s name. When she responded with the name Styles said into the microphone for all to hear, ” Tina, she’s gay.”
@Harry_Styles Thank you so much for creating an environment where I am proud to be who I am. Your continuous support of the LGBTQ+ has helped me come to love myself and feel safe. Thank you for tonight and I can’t wait to show Tina (my mom) this video. Love you always. pic.twitter.com/Kk5FJVYemB
— Grace TODAY (@takehismedicine) July 12, 2018
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- 6 truths I’ve learned in 10 years of dating my high school sweetheart
- Everything I lost when I started dating my best friend
- Joy-filled engagement photos in Oyster Bay, New York
- LGBTQ+ honeymoon spotlight: Cape Town, South Africa
- Open marriage, transitioning and play parties: one couple’s story of their thriving poly love life
- You’ll want to a be a guest at this couple’s Beauty and the Beast inspired wedding
- Asking for money as a wedding gift: OK or no way?
- Romantic hillside winery wedding
- Why this wedding shop is getting praise for its wheelchair window display
- These women planned surprise proposals for each other on the same day