Dan and I first met in June 2010 in Porto Alegre, Brazil at a party thrown by mutual friends. We were both new in the city, so we were up for something that would allow us to meet new people. There were only three months I was living there. I moved to Porto Alegre from my hometown Brasília in order to pursue a Masters in urban and regional planning. Dan was there for the summer to study Portuguese, which was going to be useful for his future fieldwork in Brazil that he planned on doing to obtain his Ph.D. in anthropology.
We very quickly became friends and started spending time together. During the whole month of July I was traveling because it was winter break for us there. I went back to Porto Alegre for a weekend before going to Brasília for Father’s Day and that was when we finally got together. The next week Dan was in Brasília he met all my family and we had our first road trip.
We don’t really have a proposal story. We knew that we wanted to be together and we chose D.C. to be the city. When those two things were decided, we didn’t really need a proposal. But last year, while I was still living in Brazil, before starting the process of the Fiance Visa, we met in Cartagena, Colombia. It was when we were together and really decided how our marriage was going to be.
We decided to have a very small ceremony without our families because the distances of traveling for his family and for mine would be very different. We thought it wouldn’t be fair to my family to travel so much more.
From the couple, Reinaldo and Dan
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- American Psychological Association says singular ‘they’ now the standard for scholarly writing
- Roxane Gay and Debbie Millman are officially engaged
- Black gothic wedding with skulls, swords and magic
- This mom’s wedding speech will make you cry in the best way
- Community was at the heart of this floral summer wedding
- Romantic engagement photos on the beach in Kauai, Hawaii
- Rustic orange and yellow autumn wedding in Norfolk, Massachusetts
- Home anniversary photos to celebrate one year of marriage
- Wild child Southwest wedding at Rimrock Ranch in Pioneertown, California
- Why you should absolutely do a post-wedding photo shoot