Marriage equality pioneer Edie Windsor’s memoir will be published
The late marriage equality enthusiast Edith “Edie” Windsor will be celebrated later this year with the posthumous publication of her memoir, A Wild and Precious Life. A Wild and Precious Life borrows its title from the Mary Oliver poem “The Summer Day” and is set to be published in October by St. Martin’s Press.
The book will draw upon Windor’s uncompleted manuscript, which she began writing a few months before she passed away, and other personal papers. The memoir will show Edie’s journey from her childhood in Philadelphia to her social life in Greenwich Village’s underground gay scene to the 2013 Supreme Court case United States v. Windsor that overturned Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act and was a landmark legal victory for marriage equality. The book was finished by her co-writer, Joshua Lyon.
Windsor’s case paved the way for the 2015 Supreme Court ruling that made marriage equality legal nationwide. She passed away in 2017 in Manhattan at the age of 88. She is survived by her second wife, Judith Kasen-Windsor.
In February, Drunk History also released an episode focusing on Edie Windsor and the history of marriage equality. Sugar Lyn Beard plays Windsor and the story is narrated by Alison Rich and Kirby Howell-Baptiste.
Watch the episode of Drunk History below:
Alaina Leary Lavoie
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- New Jersey passes ‘landmark legislation’ that makes adoption easier for LGBTQ+ parents
- Tropical, timeless wedding in St. Petersburg, Florida
- Glamorous vintage wedding at The Tides Estate in New Jersey
- Where to buy your ethical, conflict-free wedding jewelry
- Modern romantic fall wedding inspiration in Charleston, South Carolina
- Black and white industrial wedding with jungle themed decor
- Have you thought about a fitness resort?
- Tennessee joins trend of states passing anti-LGBTQ+ adoption laws
- You’re married now, should you celebrate your old anniversary?
- Beach destination wedding and honeymoon in Honolulu, Hawaii