Marriage equality pioneer Edie Windsor’s memoir will be published
The late marriage equality enthusiast Edith “Edie” Windsor will be celebrated later this year with the posthumous publication of her memoir, A Wild and Precious Life. A Wild and Precious Life borrows its title from the Mary Oliver poem “The Summer Day” and is set to be published in October by St. Martin’s Press.
The book will draw upon Windor’s uncompleted manuscript, which she began writing a few months before she passed away, and other personal papers. The memoir will show Edie’s journey from her childhood in Philadelphia to her social life in Greenwich Village’s underground gay scene to the 2013 Supreme Court case United States v. Windsor that overturned Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act and was a landmark legal victory for marriage equality. The book was finished by her co-writer, Joshua Lyon.
Windsor’s case paved the way for the 2015 Supreme Court ruling that made marriage equality legal nationwide. She passed away in 2017 in Manhattan at the age of 88. She is survived by her second wife, Judith Kasen-Windsor.
In February, Drunk History also released an episode focusing on Edie Windsor and the history of marriage equality. Sugar Lyn Beard plays Windsor and the story is narrated by Alison Rich and Kirby Howell-Baptiste.
Watch the episode of Drunk History below:
Alaina Leary Lavoie
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Mashaun + Elvis: Georgia wedding with amethyst and aquamarine birthstone colors
- We said yes! Now what? LGBTQ+ engagement advice
- Christian + Clifton: An intimate hometown Ohio wedding
- Celebrity LGBTQ+ wedding alert! Niecy Nash marries Jessica Betts
- Angelina + Krista: Glamorous luxury lesbian wedding at the renowned Versace mansion in Miami Beach, Florida
- You’re invited to the biggest, queerest wedding of the year
- Tavion + Andrew: A Greenville, South Carolina, summer LGBTQ+ wedding with rose petal exit
- An incredible educational offer for wedding and event pros
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal