By Equally Wed editors
Former Vice President Dick Cheney is celebrating the marriage of his daughter, Mary Cheney, to her longtime partner Heather Poe.
Mary Cheney (left) with her partner Heather Poe
The couple, who reside together in Virginia with their two children, were married Friday morning in Washingtonn D.C.
The former veep and his family couldn’t be more thrilled. “Mary and Heather have been in a committed relationship for many years, and we are delighted that they were able to take advantage of the opportunity to have that relationship recognized,” the Cheneys said in a statement. “Mary and Heather and their children are very important and much loved members of our family and we wish them every happiness.”
Since leaving the White House in January 2009, his views have reformed from supporting a constitutional ban on same-sex marriages during the George W. Bush administration to the complete opposite.
“I think people ought to be free to enter into any kind of union they wish,” he said in 2009. “Any kind of arrangement they wish. The question of whether or not there ought to be a federal statute to protect this, I don’t support.”
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Reports: Supreme Court appeared divided over protections for LGBTQ employees
- Black tie wedding at the Blanton Museum in Austin, Texas
- With Brie Larson’s help, a man proposed to his boyfriend at Comic Con
- This romantic sunset proposal at OUE Skyspace has a beautiful backstory
- Vintage travel-inspired fall wedding in Iowa City, Iowa
- Teal and orange fall wedding inspiration in Lake Mary, Florida
- This scavenger hunt at Gas Works Park ends with a proposal
- Moody fall photos turned surprise proposal in San Antonio, Texas
- This couples’ portrait session turned into the sweetest surprise proposal
- What our editors are reading & loving on October 9, 2019