Modern rooftop wedding in Kansas City, Missouri
“We were going for a modern luxe wedding. We wanted our guest to see the beauty of urban Kansas City from a rooftop. We wanted everyone to feel relaxed coming up to the roof with the view and a drink in hand. We wanted to showcase why we love our city. We barely had to decorate because the city view and sunset were decorated for us.
One of our biggest challenges was acceptance from family. As an LGBTQ+ couple, it’s “nontraditional” in my father and mother’s eyes. I am the first generation eldest born from my Vietnamese Family. I remember still in my bones how my father responded when I said, “Dad, I’m getting married to a woman.” It hurts still. I left after he said what he had to say. I drove a few blocks away and just cried in my car alone.
Many Asian-Americans strive for the approval of our parents. Their praises, love and how proud they are of us. I wanted them to see that I am a strong woman because of them, and it’s okay that I do not need a man to be successful.
Up until the day of our wedding, I still had hope that my parents would show up. I continued to tell myself, “It will be okay. If they come, great. But if they don’t, don’t be surprised.” I knew I only wanted them there if they support me as me. On the wedding day, they did not come. My father-in-law walked us both down the aisle, and the closest man who has been a dad to me danced with me for our father-daughter dance.
One pleasant surprise was the love and support from those who came, from our family and friends who made our wedding planning and the day just perfect. My mother and father-in-law accepted us both and I feel just blessed to have that side so close. It’s one of the reasons I changed my name.” —from Jaz, one half of the couple
Photographer: Sara Clance Photography
Ceremony Venue: Corrigan Station Rooftop
Reception Venue: Corrigan Station Rooftop
DJ: Brian Writ
Florist: Erin Fuller
Catering: Laura Comer at Kauffman Center for Performing Arts
Officiant: Jancy Harrison-Hughes
Alaina Leary Lavoie
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Outdoor DIY fall wedding at the Solarium in Decatur, Georgia
- After 20 years, two grooms celebrate with whimsical winery wedding
- 4 things you can do if you can’t go on a honeymoon right after the wedding
- Allure Bridals introduces Disney Fairy Tale Weddings Collection
- Why Naples is a great place for LGBTQ+ weddings and honeymoons
- Inclusivity is a wedding priority reveals The Knot’s Real Weddings Study
- Carefree bohemian beach wedding in Pensacola, Florida
- Nautical summer beach wedding with Seinfeld theme
- Waterfront brewery elopement at The Piermont in Babylon, New York
- Whimsical, rustic waterfront wedding in San Diego, California