Modern rooftop wedding in Kansas City, Missouri
“We were going for a modern luxe wedding. We wanted our guest to see the beauty of urban Kansas City from a rooftop. We wanted everyone to feel relaxed coming up to the roof with the view and a drink in hand. We wanted to showcase why we love our city. We barely had to decorate because the city view and sunset were decorated for us.
One of our biggest challenges was acceptance from family. As an LGBTQ+ couple, it’s “nontraditional” in my father and mother’s eyes. I am the first generation eldest born from my Vietnamese Family. I remember still in my bones how my father responded when I said, “Dad, I’m getting married to a woman.” It hurts still. I left after he said what he had to say. I drove a few blocks away and just cried in my car alone.
Many Asian-Americans strive for the approval of our parents. Their praises, love and how proud they are of us. I wanted them to see that I am a strong woman because of them, and it’s okay that I do not need a man to be successful.
Up until the day of our wedding, I still had hope that my parents would show up. I continued to tell myself, “It will be okay. If they come, great. But if they don’t, don’t be surprised.” I knew I only wanted them there if they support me as me. On the wedding day, they did not come. My father-in-law walked us both down the aisle, and the closest man who has been a dad to me danced with me for our father-daughter dance.
One pleasant surprise was the love and support from those who came, from our family and friends who made our wedding planning and the day just perfect. My mother and father-in-law accepted us both and I feel just blessed to have that side so close. It’s one of the reasons I changed my name.” —from Jaz, one half of the couple
Photographer: Sara Clance Photography
Ceremony Venue: Corrigan Station Rooftop
Reception Venue: Corrigan Station Rooftop
DJ: Brian Writ
Florist: Erin Fuller
Catering: Laura Comer at Kauffman Center for Performing Arts
Officiant: Jancy Harrison-Hughes
Alaina Leary Lavoie
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal
- Heather + Tiffany: Sunday morning brunch love shoot
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married