National Marriage Equality Day | August 7
UPDATE: It’s National Marriage Equality Day and our photo contest is underway! Take a creative photo showing how you’re supporting marriage equality today and post it in our Contests section under our cover photo on our Facebook page http://facebook.com/
We are so happy that you are here with us to fight for marriage equality. Our original goal was to support Starbucks for being so supportive of our community and our rights. We specifically chose a brick-and-mortar chain to have visible support around the country on Tuesday, Aug. 7, 2012, in direct response to Mike Huckabee’s Chick-fil-A Day.
In an effort to heighten awareness for all companies and nonprofits contributing to the fight for marriage equality, we’ve decided to rename August 7 as National Marriage Equality Day. EquallyWed.com asks that you spend your money wisely on this day, and every day. It’s important to be an informed consumer. RSVP on Facebook here and join the conversation.
This expansion of focus is the result of the direct encouragement of Starbucks Corporate Headquarters who wanted other equality-minded companies and organizations to share in the appreciation.
On Aug. 7, please share your photos with us on Twitter and Facebook of how you’re supporting the right of everyone to have their marriages legally recognized.
National nonprofit organizations fighting for LGBT equality that could use your support:
|Human Rights Campaign (HRC)|
|Freedom to Marry|
|Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN)|
|GLAAD (Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation)|
|Marriage Equality USA|
|National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (The Task Force)|
|National Youth Advocacy Coalition (NYAC)|
|Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)|
A partial list of national and international brands that support LGBT rights and equality-minded weddings (feel free to add more in the comments):
|Abercrombie & Fitch|
|Ben & Jerry’s|
|Kimberly-Clark (maker of Kleenex, Huggies, Kotex, Scott, Depends, Wypall)|
|Tiffany & Co.|
We’ve created a new Facebook page devoted to exclusively to the annual National Marriage Equality Day every August 7 so you can follow along throughout the year with updates exclusively about marriage equality (because our fabulous Equally Wed Facebook page is devoted to equality-minded LGBTQ weddings, honeymoons and marriage equality).
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- How to plan a fall wedding on a budget
- 5 mocktail recipes for your sober wedding guests
- 2023 LGBTQ+ wedding trends to watch for
- Jamie and Ashley’s florescent and fun May wedding at Greenhouse Lofts in Chicago
- Simple and elegant winter wedding for two brides in Santa Ana, California
- Low-key Louisville, Kentucky, wedding celebrates chosen family, queer joy and spirituality
- A weed wedding with earthy, elegant details
- Romantic Santorini sunset proposal
- Outdoor summer wedding in Acadia National Park
- New Mexico Badlands multicultural boho lesbian elopement
- Get inspired by the romantic vibes at this Minneapolis candlelit wedding
- Quirky and sweet Colorado couple’s scene-matching city photo shoot