National Marriage Equality Day | August 7
UPDATE: It’s National Marriage Equality Day and our photo contest is underway! Take a creative photo showing how you’re supporting marriage equality today and post it in our Contests section under our cover photo on our Facebook page http://facebook.com/
We are so happy that you are here with us to fight for marriage equality. Our original goal was to support Starbucks for being so supportive of our community and our rights. We specifically chose a brick-and-mortar chain to have visible support around the country on Tuesday, Aug. 7, 2012, in direct response to Mike Huckabee’s Chick-fil-A Day.
In an effort to heighten awareness for all companies and nonprofits contributing to the fight for marriage equality, we’ve decided to rename August 7 as National Marriage Equality Day. EquallyWed.com asks that you spend your money wisely on this day, and every day. It’s important to be an informed consumer. RSVP on Facebook here and join the conversation.
This expansion of focus is the result of the direct encouragement of Starbucks Corporate Headquarters who wanted other equality-minded companies and organizations to share in the appreciation.
On Aug. 7, please share your photos with us on Twitter and Facebook of how you’re supporting the right of everyone to have their marriages legally recognized.
National nonprofit organizations fighting for LGBT equality that could use your support:
|Human Rights Campaign (HRC)|
|Freedom to Marry|
|Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN)|
|GLAAD (Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation)|
|Marriage Equality USA|
|National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (The Task Force)|
|National Youth Advocacy Coalition (NYAC)|
|Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)|
A partial list of national and international brands that support LGBT rights and equality-minded weddings (feel free to add more in the comments):
|Abercrombie & Fitch|
|Ben & Jerry’s|
|Kimberly-Clark (maker of Kleenex, Huggies, Kotex, Scott, Depends, Wypall)|
|Tiffany & Co.|
We’ve created a new Facebook page devoted to exclusively to the annual National Marriage Equality Day every August 7 so you can follow along throughout the year with updates exclusively about marriage equality (because our fabulous Equally Wed Facebook page is devoted to equality-minded LGBTQ weddings, honeymoons and marriage equality).
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Booksmart Actress Beanie Feldstein Engaged to Bonnie Chance Roberts
- Ohio Fall Wedding with Irish Hand Fasting
- Sunrise engagement session on the beach of Asbury Park New Jersey
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC
- An intimate wedding at Smale Riverfront Park in Cincinnati, OH
- Good Omens–inspired styled elopement with angelic forms, red poppies, goblets and crosses
- Intimate Mountain Wedding in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada
- Intimate garden wedding and “booze cruise” boat dance party in Salem, Massachusetts
- Engagement session at Matheson Hammock Park in Miami, FL