Elizabeth Warren proposes tax refunds for same-sex couples
Tax refunds for same-sex couples? Yes, please.
United States Senator Elizabeth Warren and Representative Richard Neal introduced a proposed act on July 13 for tax refunds for same-sex couples. The act would allow same-sex couples the ability to amend their tax returns for the years they were required to file separately instead of filing as a joint couple. Titled “The Refund Equality Act,” the legislation would bring the opportunity for up to $67 million in refunds dating back to the date of a couple’s marriage.
Thirty-nine members of the House of Representatives and 30 senators are cosponsoring “The Refund Equality Act,” almost all of which are Democrats. The act would not apply to all same-sex couples. Couples with similar incomes most likely would not see much of a greater joint refund as opposed to those with vary incomes.
“After DOMA’s section 3, barring the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages, was invalidated by the U.S. Supreme Court in 2013, same-sex couples could file joint federal tax returns for the first time,” writes The Advocate. “President Obama directed his administration to let married same-sex couples file amended returns for previous years to the extent allowed by law, which meant those who believe they would have received a refund if filing jointly in 2010, 2011, or 2012 could submit an amended one.”
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- A higher love: Say I do with a view at OUE Skyspace LA
- Everything you need to know about planning your LGBTQ+ honeymoon
- How to choose a wedding venue
- They is 2019’s word of the year
- National groups blast GOP federal LGBTQ rights bill as permitting ‘licenses to discriminate’ by wedding vendors, religious groups
- Romantic engagement photos at Milwaukee Central Public Library
- This surprise flash mob dance party proposal will move you to tears
- Pantone reveals classic blue as its 2020 Color of the Year
- The Knot, Pinterest and Zola will stop promoting plantation weddings
- TikTok is limiting the reach of LGBTQ+, disabled and fat people’s videos