Nothing Suits Her Like a Suit
By Kathleen Furey
Butch women in the U.K. no longer need to peruse the menswear aisle for stylish, comfortable clothing. The Butch Clothing Company, based in Brighton, was founded by Shaz Riley in August 2009.
Riley, a 44-year-old butch woman, tells The Guardian, “All those years of having to wear men’s clothes will be behind me now … If they have ever had to put up with negativity from people because of being butch, my clothes will give them the confidence to hold their heads up high.”
BCC is handmade with a focus on formalwear. Prices start at £240 for a suit, £75 for shirts, and £110 for waistcoats. She tells The Guardian, “Whatever you do to a man’s suit, a woman does not look right in it … men need loads more room in the crotch.” BCC is providing suits for Riley’s nuptials in spring 2011.
Now if we could just get them to open a shop in the United States…
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
Follow Equally Wed on Instagram!
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- New Orleans industrial wedding inspiration shoot
- Danika + Cassidy: a Chicago engagement photoshoot with salsa dancing
- Reclaiming Asian pride: a San Diego private prenuptial tea-and-cocktail celebration
- Anthony + Paul: boho-lux Portugal destination wedding
- Lakesha + Nikia: Decatur, Ga. outdoor wedding during the coronavirus
- David + Andrew: Midwestern Pride Wedding Giveaway winners marry
- Romantic Vancouver elopement inspiration
- David + Anthony: Natural, earthy and warm Milwaukee, Wisconsin, wedding
- Jenny + Robin: a record-breaking cruise ship wedding vow renewal
- Meagan + Kristyn: an Austin, Texas, luxury outdoor wedding