Pennsylvania-based Star Barn venue bars gay weddings
The Star Barn, a popular wedding venue in Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, bars gay weddings based on the owner David Abel’s religious beliefs, according to PennLive.
The wedding venue is iconic in the central Pennsylvania area, built in 1887 and part of a sprawling estate surrounded by farmland, an orchard and a vineyard.
Recently, Steven Dinnocenti, a retired Lancaster educator, learned that Stone Gables (which runs both the Star Barn and Ironstone Ranch) has a policy against venue reservations for same-sex couples.
“Never again will I step on (their) grounds,” Dinnocenti, who is gay and married, wrote on Facebook. “What one does not know is the blatant discrimination they have towards the LGBTQ community. I for one will not be attending any wedding or party at this venue knowing they discriminate against people.”
“Discrimination is discrimination,” Dinnocenti tells PennLive. “It’s like hate is hate. Anybody should be allowed to walk in anywhere to purchase anything. That is what a capitalistic society is. When you get the door slammed in your face it’s offensive. It’s wrong. You are saying our money is not as good as the next person’s.”
All venues and vendors need to be inclusive, not homophobic—it’s 2019, and being on the right side of history means supporting LGBTQ+ rights and couples.
Alaina Leary Lavoie
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Mashaun + Elvis: Georgia wedding with amethyst and aquamarine birthstone colors
- We said yes! Now what? LGBTQ+ engagement advice
- Christian + Clifton: An intimate hometown Ohio wedding
- Celebrity LGBTQ+ wedding alert! Niecy Nash marries Jessica Betts
- Angelina + Krista: Glamorous luxury lesbian wedding at the renowned Versace mansion in Miami Beach, Florida
- You’re invited to the biggest, queerest wedding of the year
- Tavion + Andrew: A Greenville, South Carolina, summer LGBTQ+ wedding with rose petal exit
- An incredible educational offer for wedding and event pros
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal