Pennsylvania-based Star Barn venue bars gay weddings
The Star Barn, a popular wedding venue in Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, bars gay weddings based on the owner David Abel’s religious beliefs, according to PennLive.
The wedding venue is iconic in the central Pennsylvania area, built in 1887 and part of a sprawling estate surrounded by farmland, an orchard and a vineyard.
Recently, Steven Dinnocenti, a retired Lancaster educator, learned that Stone Gables (which runs both the Star Barn and Ironstone Ranch) has a policy against venue reservations for same-sex couples.
“Never again will I step on (their) grounds,” Dinnocenti, who is gay and married, wrote on Facebook. “What one does not know is the blatant discrimination they have towards the LGBTQ community. I for one will not be attending any wedding or party at this venue knowing they discriminate against people.”
“Discrimination is discrimination,” Dinnocenti tells PennLive. “It’s like hate is hate. Anybody should be allowed to walk in anywhere to purchase anything. That is what a capitalistic society is. When you get the door slammed in your face it’s offensive. It’s wrong. You are saying our money is not as good as the next person’s.”
All venues and vendors need to be inclusive, not homophobic—it’s 2019, and being on the right side of history means supporting LGBTQ+ rights and couples.
Alaina Leary Lavoie
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC
- An intimate wedding at Smale Riverfront Park in Cincinnati, OH
- Good Omens–inspired styled elopement with angelic forms, red poppies, goblets and crosses
- Intimate Mountain Wedding in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada
- Intimate garden wedding and “booze cruise” boat dance party in Salem, Massachusetts
- Engagement session at Matheson Hammock Park in Miami, FL
- Why Taha’a could be your dream honeymoon destination
- Boho garden wedding inspiration at Haiku I Do, Asheville
- Magical Moorea enchants for LGBTQ+ couples
- Sunset Wedding Portraits on Mount Lemmon