Decatur, Georgia Courthouse Gay Wedding
A Decatur, Georgia gay wedding at an historic courthouse makes a fierce statement for marriage equality—and true love.
Jeremy and David married in The Old Courthouse on the Square in downtown Decatur, Georgia, before the federal law for marriage equality was passed.
From Jeremy: I guess you could say our theme was the definition of marriage itself and trying to get our guests to think about what that means,” say For our save the dates, we sent cards that showed the various dates the legal definition of marriage had changed in the U.S. to highlight the institution of marriage and what it means culturally is not a static thing, but a fluid and moving practice. On all our invitations, the programs, napkins and even lighting effects during the reception all used the phonetic spelling of the word “marriage”—how you’d see the pronunciation in a dictionary. We even had that “logo” on little pieces of chocolate that were on all the desserts served at the rehearsal dinner and the cupcakes at the wedding reception. Other than that, everything was black and white.
From David: Our ceremony was very traditional. After the wedding party entered, we walked one another down the aisle and as soon as the doors opened and we saw our guests standing up on either side of the aisle, I remember squeezing each other’s hands and just feeling overwhelmed by the way the room looked, all the people there, and all the emotion of the day. We had a judge serve as our officiant, since we liked the statement that made in the courthouse. Jeremy worked with her on the wording and the staging of the ceremony itself. We also had our pastor, Bishop Jim Swilley, make a statement and offer a prayer. After the prayer, we read aloud the vows we had written to one another and then exchanged rings.
|VENUE: Historic DeKalb Courthouse
CATERER: Soiree Catering
FLORIST: K & Co. Floral Design
CUPCAKES: Gigi’s Cupcakes
PHOTOGRAPHER: Anna and Spencer Photography
JEWELER: Worthmore Jewelers
GROOMS’ HAIR: Timothy Hays, Salon Red
GROOMSMAIDS’ HAIR: Christopher Macken Concepts
GROOMS AND GROOMSMEN ATTIRE: Rik Ducar
GROOMSMAID ATTIRE: Bella Bridesmaid
LIGHTING DESIGN: Ignite Event Lighting
CHAMBER MUSIC: Amati Chamber
MUSIC MARCHING BAND: Seed and Feed Marching Abominable
LIVE MUSIC: Sonen
DJ: Mark Gordon
PLANNER: Britain Lamon
* This article was first published on Dec. 30, 2011. It has been updated to reflect current marriage equality laws.
Kirsten Ott Palladino
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Booksmart Actress Beanie Feldstein Engaged to Bonnie Chance Roberts
- Ohio Fall Wedding with Irish Hand Fasting
- Sunrise engagement session on the beach of Asbury Park New Jersey
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC
- An intimate wedding at Smale Riverfront Park in Cincinnati, OH
- Good Omens–inspired styled elopement with angelic forms, red poppies, goblets and crosses
- Intimate Mountain Wedding in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada
- Intimate garden wedding and “booze cruise” boat dance party in Salem, Massachusetts
- Engagement session at Matheson Hammock Park in Miami, FL