Squash gender stereotypes this Halloween with this PSA
Halloween costumes are the ultimate form of childhood self-expression for kids. From career aspirations to movie and television characters and more, it’s always fun to learn more about what a child is passionate about. But when a child’s gender and the gender of their costume character don’t align, that’s when the confusion, gender stereotyping and hurtful comments start to roll in, which can be detrimental to a child and their confidence.
Digital media company Landwirth Legacy Productions, whose goal is to create socially conscious content to empower viewers with feelings of compassion, mindfulness and inner strength, created a PSA this Halloween season to remind everyone that it doesn’t matter if a child’s gender doesn’t match the gender stereotypically assigned to their costume.
“This 2-minute digital PSA was written by Alexander Day and Brian Carufe, directed by Almog Avidan Antonir, and produced by the team at Landwirth Legacy Productions, as means to challenge gender stereotypes when it comes to children’s Halloween costumes,” reads the YouTube video description.
The short video, titled “My Heroes,” follows a family having the stereotypical definition of Halloween night, from pumpkin carving to trick-or-treating. The unease in the father’s face is prevalent throughout the video after his children put on their costumes and head out for a night of fun. His wife continues to reassure him that it’s ok, and the children are met with compliments on their costumes. When the family returns home it becomes evident that the father’s uneasiness came from his daughter dressing as Batman and his son dressing as Wonder Woman. In the end, the father takes one step closer to acceptance by calling his children his heroes.
The video received over half a million views in first five days of being published.
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Joyful intimate wedding outside Chicago with geometric arch and outfit change
- 5 epic LGBTQ+ wedding photos we are just so thankful exist
- Romantic Malibu engagement session by the beach
- Outdoor New Jersey wedding filled with love and sunflowers
- Bright and cheery sixties-inspired wedding ideas
- Breathtaking Sedona elopement surrounded by close friends and family
- Inclusivity in the wedding industry: faux allies, transphobia and performative actions
- Stunning and joyful elopement at Colorado’s Garden of the Gods
- “Same Love” singer Mary Lambert is engaged
- Autumn engagement session at the base of Nevada’s Mt. Charleston
- WNBA legend Renee Montgomery reveals she and music artist Sirena Grace got married
- Two stars of Amazon’s lesbian reality show, Tampa Baes, are engaged
- Rustic and modern October wedding in a Mississippi barn
- Intimate and enchanting wedding at a Pittsburgh flower garden
- Epic surprise proposal during a styled shoot on the shores of Mallorca
- LGBTQ+ people in Spain now have access to IVF treatment to build their families
- Four reasons LGBTQ+ couples should consider a Charleston honeymoon
- California engagement session surrounded by sparkling trees
- Kristen Stewart and Dylan Meyer are engaged!
- How Frank Darling can help LGBTQ+ couples design the perfect custom rings