Stunning and joyful elopement at Colorado’s Garden of the Gods
Julie and Tassia
Wedding Location: Garden of the Gods, Colorado
Julie and Tassia’s intimate August elopement took place at the breathtaking Garden of Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
The pair said “I do” surrounded by close friends and family, as well as gorgeous 360 degree views of the park’s sandstone formations.
“The best part of the day was the ceremony,” they write. “There was so much stress around weather and if the rain or storms would hold out since we were doing everything outside. But by the end of the ceremony, the sun was shining, with the clouds hovering over the mountains. It was just amazing, more beautiful than we could have even imagined.”
The emotional first look and ceremony were followed by dinner at the Garden of the Gods Resort.
How It All Began
The couple met while both were serving in the military. Tassia was Julie’s supervisor, and they were also serving under the “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” policy. They had to keep their relationship a secret for many reasons.
“But as happens for anything that is ‘forbidden,’ it made everything all that much more intense between the two of us,” they said.
The couple got engaged after 3 months of dating and stayed that way for 6 years before breaking up for 3. Then, in 2021, they found each other again.
Advice To Other Couples
Their advice to other LGBTQ+ couples planning their big day: ” 100% keep true to what is important to YOU and not anyone else. Not your mom, your future mother-in-law, not your family, not your best friend… YOU. It is important to plan your day in a way that will mean something to the both of you as a couple and individually. For us, doing an extremely small ceremony that was meant just for the two of us, in a place that held dear to our hearts, is what made the ceremony all that much more special. It made the entire day so meaningful, because we had so much rich history there and it was just the two of us, and our parents.”
They also emphasized the importance of highly skilled photographers and videographers.
“Something that was important to us was to not only capture our epic day, but also to feel like we weren’t just staging the whole thing for a film. We wanted to be able to truly be ourselves while the cameras were in the background, and that’s what we were able to do with Adam and McKenna. Our day was so beautifully captured by the both of them, and all we did was just get ready, show up, and do our Julie & Tassia thing :)”
Search our directory of LGBTQ+ inclusive vendors.
Photographer: Adventure Amore
Venue: Garden of the Gods
Video: McKenna Bird Creative
Officiant: Judith Piazza
Florals: The Ruffly Rose
Vow Books: The Cozy Comfy Home (Etsy)
Bakery: Nothing Bundt Cakes
filed under: LGTBQ+ love, LGBTQ+ wedding, equally wed, LGBTQ+ weddings, LGBTQ+ elopement
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Joyful intimate wedding outside Chicago with geometric arch and outfit change
- 5 epic LGBTQ+ wedding photos we are just so thankful exist
- Romantic Malibu engagement session by the beach
- Outdoor New Jersey wedding filled with love and sunflowers
- Bright and cheery sixties-inspired wedding ideas
- Breathtaking Sedona elopement surrounded by close friends and family
- Inclusivity in the wedding industry: faux allies, transphobia and performative actions
- Stunning and joyful elopement at Colorado’s Garden of the Gods
- “Same Love” singer Mary Lambert is engaged
- Autumn engagement session at the base of Nevada’s Mt. Charleston
- WNBA legend Renee Montgomery reveals she and music artist Sirena Grace got married
- Two stars of Amazon’s lesbian reality show, Tampa Baes, are engaged
- Rustic and modern October wedding in a Mississippi barn
- Intimate and enchanting wedding at a Pittsburgh flower garden
- Epic surprise proposal during a styled shoot on the shores of Mallorca
- LGBTQ+ people in Spain now have access to IVF treatment to build their families
- Four reasons LGBTQ+ couples should consider a Charleston honeymoon
- California engagement session surrounded by sparkling trees
- Kristen Stewart and Dylan Meyer are engaged!
- How Frank Darling can help LGBTQ+ couples design the perfect custom rings