Target Sells Same-Sex Marriage Greeting Cards
By Brittny Drye
The pendulum swings yet again for Target’s stance on gay rights, as same-sex wedding cards hit the Minnesota-based retailer’s shelves in mid-June.
The wedding cards boast scripted phrases such as “Mr. and Mr.” and “Two very special women, one very special love” and are made by Carlton Cards, a unit of American Greetings, whose spokeswoman Patrice Sadd said the company and Target jointly decided to offer “wedding cards relevant for everyone.”
Target, which sold a limited supply of gay pride shirts online in June, as well as sponsored Family Night during New York City’s Pride weekend and Pride events in Minneapolis, seems to be trying to make up for the brand’s donation of $150,000 to MN Forward two years ago, a group that was backing Republican Tom Emmer, who is notorious for his anti-stance on LGBT rights, and his governor bid in Minnesota.
Though they have not yet officially supported same-sex marriage, as other corporations as Starbucks and fellow Minnesotan General Mills have done, we hope that the step is in the company’s near future.
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married
- Wedding suit inspiration from 6 top queer influencers for your big day
- Nicole + Andrea: New York multicultural wedding with Caribbean roots (their first look photos are the sweetest!)
- New Orleans industrial wedding inspiration shoot
- Danika + Cassidy: a Chicago engagement photoshoot with salsa dancing
- Reclaiming Asian pride: a San Diego private prenuptial tea-and-cocktail celebration