Target Sells Same-Sex Marriage Greeting Cards
By Brittny Drye
The pendulum swings yet again for Target’s stance on gay rights, as same-sex wedding cards hit the Minnesota-based retailer’s shelves in mid-June.
The wedding cards boast scripted phrases such as “Mr. and Mr.” and “Two very special women, one very special love” and are made by Carlton Cards, a unit of American Greetings, whose spokeswoman Patrice Sadd said the company and Target jointly decided to offer “wedding cards relevant for everyone.”
Target, which sold a limited supply of gay pride shirts online in June, as well as sponsored Family Night during New York City’s Pride weekend and Pride events in Minneapolis, seems to be trying to make up for the brand’s donation of $150,000 to MN Forward two years ago, a group that was backing Republican Tom Emmer, who is notorious for his anti-stance on LGBT rights, and his governor bid in Minnesota.
Though they have not yet officially supported same-sex marriage, as other corporations as Starbucks and fellow Minnesotan General Mills have done, we hope that the step is in the company’s near future.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Monochromatic countryside double wedding inspiration
- Lesbian couple denied by California winery wedding venue receives apology after performer Nikki Levy intervenes
- 12 creative and unique alternative wedding cakes for your celebration
- 22 couples with tattoos who prove ink is the best wedding look
- Lesbian pioneers in fight for marriage equality now in bitter divorce battle challenging definition of marriage
- Double engagement inspiration in the Arizona Cactus Garden
- 9 themed weddings you’ll love, from Beauty and the Beast to astronomy
- Gay dads around globe get less parental leave than lesbian parents and straight couples
- How we chose our wedding party and asked them to share the day with us
- This romantic fall wedding has some seriously gorgeous foliage