Target Sells Same-Sex Marriage Greeting Cards
By Brittny Drye
The pendulum swings yet again for Target’s stance on gay rights, as same-sex wedding cards hit the Minnesota-based retailer’s shelves in mid-June.
The wedding cards boast scripted phrases such as “Mr. and Mr.” and “Two very special women, one very special love” and are made by Carlton Cards, a unit of American Greetings, whose spokeswoman Patrice Sadd said the company and Target jointly decided to offer “wedding cards relevant for everyone.”
Target, which sold a limited supply of gay pride shirts online in June, as well as sponsored Family Night during New York City’s Pride weekend and Pride events in Minneapolis, seems to be trying to make up for the brand’s donation of $150,000 to MN Forward two years ago, a group that was backing Republican Tom Emmer, who is notorious for his anti-stance on LGBT rights, and his governor bid in Minnesota.
Though they have not yet officially supported same-sex marriage, as other corporations as Starbucks and fellow Minnesotan General Mills have done, we hope that the step is in the company’s near future.
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Mashaun + Elvis: Georgia wedding with amethyst and aquamarine birthstone colors
- We said yes! Now what? LGBTQ+ engagement advice
- Christian + Clifton: An intimate hometown Ohio wedding
- Celebrity LGBTQ+ wedding alert! Niecy Nash marries Jessica Betts
- Angelina + Krista: Glamorous luxury lesbian wedding at the renowned Versace mansion in Miami Beach, Florida
- You’re invited to the biggest, queerest wedding of the year
- Tavion + Andrew: A Greenville, South Carolina, summer LGBTQ+ wedding with rose petal exit
- An incredible educational offer for wedding and event pros
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal