The creators of the same-sex Barbie wedding set just got married
Engaged couple Matt Jacobi and Nick Caprio made international news in December 2018 when they created their own same-sex Barbie wedding set as a gift for their niece.
The custom set caught the attention of Mattel, and Jacobi and Caprio met with Mattel at their Los Angeles headquarters in January to discuss the possibility of LGBTQ+ inclusive dolls. While they can’t say for sure what they’re working on, Jacobi and Caprio have been officially welcomed into the Barbie family.
View this post on Instagram
We had a wonderful meeting with the @Mattel Team today, and so excited to be part of the @Barbie family! We are confident in the direction Barbie is taking to make their line the most inclusive doll line on the market.💗 . . With Gratitude, Matt Jacobi & Nick Caprio
A post shared by MATT JACOBI-CAPRIO (@mattjacobi) on
After twelve years together, the two got married in May 2019 at The Scottsdale Resort at McCormick Ranch where they exchanged vows in front of 160 guests. The couple toasted to all the LGBTQ+ freedom fighters and allies that helped make marriage equality a legal reality. “Nick and I felt incredibly excited and overwhelmed with happiness,” Matt, who changed his name to Matt Jacobi-Caprio in celebration his marriage to Nick, tells Equally Wed. “The one emotion that stands out the most is feeling grateful.”
The pair were the first same-sex couple to get married at their wedding venue. They asked event experts at Juliet Le Fleur, Glamour & Woods and Southwest Teepee to surprise them with their wedding day decor details so they could experience their wedding day unfolding just like their guests. “It was just another added element of excitement,” says Matt. “Nick and I are both creatives so we believe you have to let artists and people with creative talents do what they do best—create!”
Their ceremony was filled with love. “It had always been a dream of mine to walk down the aisle with my parents,” says Matt. “I will never forget that moment and seeing Nick’s handsome smile waiting for me.” After Nick and Matt were declared husbands, rainbow smoke went off, which the couple had no idea Julie Robinson had orchestrated.
Alaina Leary Lavoie
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Meagan + Kristyn: an Austin, Texas, luxury outdoor wedding
- Torie + Alyssa: An intimate, bohemian and rustic wedding
- Uly + Ernesto: a monochrome winter engagement session at California sand dunes
- The Equally Wed LGBTQ+ wedding anniversary gift list
- Cozy in-cabin engagement photos in Manitoba, Canada
- Modern winter resort engagement photos in Scottsdale, Arizona
- Rainbow, flowers and sequins rooftop wedding in Washington, D.C.
- Colorful, whimsical wedding inspiration in Atlanta, Georgia
- Coronavirus wedding planning: advice on postponing and canceling
- Romantic winter beach wedding in Barcelona, Spain