The creators of the same-sex Barbie wedding set just got married
Engaged couple Matt Jacobi and Nick Caprio made international news in December 2018 when they created their own same-sex Barbie wedding set as a gift for their niece.
The custom set caught the attention of Mattel, and Jacobi and Caprio met with Mattel at their Los Angeles headquarters in January to discuss the possibility of LGBTQ+ inclusive dolls. While they can’t say for sure what they’re working on, Jacobi and Caprio have been officially welcomed into the Barbie family.
View this post on Instagram
We had a wonderful meeting with the @Mattel Team today, and so excited to be part of the @Barbie family! We are confident in the direction Barbie is taking to make their line the most inclusive doll line on the market.💗 . . With Gratitude, Matt Jacobi & Nick Caprio
A post shared by MATT JACOBI-CAPRIO (@mattjacobi) on
After twelve years together, the two got married in May 2019 at The Scottsdale Resort at McCormick Ranch where they exchanged vows in front of 160 guests. The couple toasted to all the LGBTQ+ freedom fighters and allies that helped make marriage equality a legal reality. “Nick and I felt incredibly excited and overwhelmed with happiness,” Matt, who changed his name to Matt Jacobi-Caprio in celebration his marriage to Nick, tells Equally Wed. “The one emotion that stands out the most is feeling grateful.”
The pair were the first same-sex couple to get married at their wedding venue. They asked event experts at Juliet Le Fleur, Glamour & Woods and Southwest Teepee to surprise them with their wedding day decor details so they could experience their wedding day unfolding just like their guests. “It was just another added element of excitement,” says Matt. “Nick and I are both creatives so we believe you have to let artists and people with creative talents do what they do best—create!”
Their ceremony was filled with love. “It had always been a dream of mine to walk down the aisle with my parents,” says Matt. “I will never forget that moment and seeing Nick’s handsome smile waiting for me.” After Nick and Matt were declared husbands, rainbow smoke went off, which the couple had no idea Julie Robinson had orchestrated.
Alaina Leary Lavoie
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married
- Wedding suit inspiration from 6 top queer influencers for your big day
- Nicole + Andrea: New York multicultural wedding with Caribbean roots (their first look photos are the sweetest!)
- New Orleans industrial wedding inspiration shoot