This scavenger hunt at Gas Works Park ends with a proposal
“Cori and I met on Instagram! She slid into my DMs and started bonding over our faith and fitness. We began talking every single day and quickly became best friends. Four months later, I flew from Seattle, Washington, to Little Rock, Arkansas, to visit my ‘friend.’
Honestly, I only had intentions of meeting my social media best friend, but I ended up meeting the girl of my dreams. I walked out of the small town airport and spotted her green Honda CRV. Cori got out of the car to give me a hug, and at that moment I knew I met the person I’d spend the rest of my life with. The rest is history!
Cori is an adorable hopeless romantic, so I knew I had to come up with a grand gesture. Planning my proposal took five months. I made a legit professional-looking scavenger hunt through downtown Seattle, I designed a custom ring and booked a seaplane ride to whisk her away to the San Juan Island for the weekend.
I proposed on August 24, 2019, which was the day before our two year anniversary. My proposal was at the end of a scavenger hunt with a group of friends ending at Gas Works Park on the water. Cori had no clue what was about to happen! She truly thought we were doing a fun scavenger hunt with all our friends. She had no idea until the very last challenge when she was handed an envelope I had given to one of her teammates.
The letter directed her to meet me at the location of her favorite date she’s ever been on. I re-enacted the surprise picnic dinner I took her on a year before, dressed to impress and got down on one knee to ask her to spend her life with me. She said yes and before I could remember to put the ring on her finger, I jumped up to give her a hug and kiss. Everyone at the park cheered and then we flew off in a seaplane to enjoy a weekend together as fiancées!” —from Jess, one half of the couple
Photographer: Jess Klein Photo
Alaina Leary Lavoie
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Joyful intimate wedding outside Chicago with geometric arch and outfit change
- 5 epic LGBTQ+ wedding photos we are just so thankful exist
- Romantic Malibu engagement session by the beach
- Outdoor New Jersey wedding filled with love and sunflowers
- Bright and cheery sixties-inspired wedding ideas
- Breathtaking Sedona elopement surrounded by close friends and family
- Inclusivity in the wedding industry: faux allies, transphobia and performative actions
- Stunning and joyful elopement at Colorado’s Garden of the Gods
- “Same Love” singer Mary Lambert is engaged
- Autumn engagement session at the base of Nevada’s Mt. Charleston
- WNBA legend Renee Montgomery reveals she and music artist Sirena Grace got married
- Two stars of Amazon’s lesbian reality show, Tampa Baes, are engaged
- Rustic and modern October wedding in a Mississippi barn
- Intimate and enchanting wedding at a Pittsburgh flower garden
- Epic surprise proposal during a styled shoot on the shores of Mallorca
- LGBTQ+ people in Spain now have access to IVF treatment to build their families
- Four reasons LGBTQ+ couples should consider a Charleston honeymoon
- California engagement session surrounded by sparkling trees
- Kristen Stewart and Dylan Meyer are engaged!
- How Frank Darling can help LGBTQ+ couples design the perfect custom rings