This surprise flash mob dance party proposal will move you to tears
“When Aaron contacted us to make a film of a ‘surprise engagement dance party flash mob’ after he proposed to his boyfriend Chris of four years, we were instantly on board!
This adorable couple from Raleigh, North Caroline, spent the morning away on October 12, 2019, having an intimate proposal, while friends from all across the country were at Chris’ parents’ lake-front cabin, quietly hashing out the details of the flash mob plan to blow this couple away.
Aaron had friends and family fly into the Raleigh-Durham area from all over the United States—from California to Montana to Ohio—and he had a family member put together the choreographed surprise to celebrate the newly engaged men. Complete with giant prop heads of the couple, colorful smoke grenades, pom poms, a glitter beard, maracas and tambourines, this celebration was sure to be a giant dance party that surprised Chris and celebrated their engagement.
In front of the rustic cabin on Lake Royale, Chris’ brother Matt (who plays drums professionally for the military) set up his drum set to tap along to the beat of the music, while another friend planned to play guitar in the background. As the couple pulled up in their car and stepped out, Chris stumbled around in confusion with a blindfold covering his eyes. He had no clue where Aaron had brought him and nervously followed along while the crowd stood quietly awaiting.
Just before the flash mob surprise started, Aaron threw up a big sign that said, ‘He said yes!’ The crowd cheered and Aaron ripped away Chris’ blindfold, uncovering a crowd of family and friends dressed in bright colors and big smiles. The music kicked in and the dance routine was on its way. The giant heads bobbled back and forth and the smoke grenades filled the air with celebration and joy. The choreography was executed perfectly.
And after four minutes of pure happiness, the flash mob ended and the couple felt truly amazed they were blessed with such incredible friends and family. Hugs went out freely, and the two joined on the front stairs of the cabin as Aaron’s brother and Chris’ father shared heartfelt words of congratulations. The surprise celebration of this newly engaged couple was, without a doubt, one of the best moments in our filming career. Thank you, Aaron and Chris, for allowing us to capture this incredible moment in your story. We look forward to your new lives together, and your wedding day is sure to be full of love, beauty, and great friends and family.” —from Amanda Brewer and Jeff Brewer, the proprietors of HoneyDew Films in Greensboro, North Carolina
Videographer and Photographer: HoneyDew Films
Alaina Leary Lavoie
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- An incredible educational offer for wedding and event pros
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal
- Heather + Tiffany: Sunday morning brunch love shoot
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot