Pantone, the global color authority and provider of professional color standards for the design industries, has announced is color of the year for 2014: PANTONE® 18-3224 Radiant Orchid. The captivating hue is magical and enigmatic, and we love it for weddings! It’ll produce a gorgeous glow for both men and women, enlivening the skin as it blends both cool and warm undertones. Try pairing it with red for an air of sultriness, as well as sister shades of lavender, purple and pink. We’d even love to see it alongside turquoise, teal or bright yellow. The vibrant color is a lovely primary shade for coupling with a neutral such as gray, beige and taupe.
The color of the year selection requires careful consideration and, to arrive at the selection, Pantone quite literally combs the world looking for color influences. This can include the entertainment industry and films that are in production, traveling art collections, hot new artists, popular travel destinations and other socio-economic conditions. Influences may also stem from technology, availability of new textures and effects that impact color, and even upcoming sports events that capture worldwide attention.
For more than a decade, Pantone’s Color of the Year has influenced product development and purchasing decisions in multiple industries, including fashion, home and industrial design, as well as product packaging and graphic design. Previous Pantone colors of the year include PANTONE 17-5641 Emerald (2013) PANTONE 17-1463 Tangerine Tango (2012), PANTONE 18-2120 Honeysuckle (2011) and PANTONE 15-5519 Turquoise (2010).
“While the 2013 color of the year, PANTONE 17-5641 Emerald, served as a symbol of growth, renewal and prosperity, Radiant Orchid reaches across the color wheel to intrigue the eye and spark the imagination,” said Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute®. “An invitation to innovation, Radiant Orchid encourages expanded creativity and originality, which is increasingly valued in today’s society. An enchanting harmony of fuchsia, purple and pink undertones, Radiant Orchid inspires confidence and emanates great joy, love and health. It is a captivating purple, one that draws you in with its beguiling charm.”
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal
- Heather + Tiffany: Sunday morning brunch love shoot
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married