Yard games, dogs and homemade pies at this laid-back DIY Washington wedding
Megan and Jozephine’s laid-back, DIY wedding took place in July 2019 beside a beautiful lake in the forest of Sammamish, Washington. Everything about this wedding was personal. Megan’s mom handpicked the flowers from Seattle’s Pike Place Market, family and friends helped plan the celebration, and Megan handmade the invitations on keepsake coasters. Wedding decor was also handmade by both Megan and friends.
A friend also officiated the ceremony, during which Megan and Jozephine walked down the aisle hand in hand.
The reception took place in the couple’s backyard at their Seattle home. There were shot skis, yard games and dogs. For dessert, guests brought their own homemade pies.
What advice would you give to engaged LGBTQ+ couples?
We really leaned into the fact that we aren’t a “traditional” couple having a “traditional” wedding and had a blast with it. We played kickball, had shot skis of champagne with folks who gave us toasts, went barefoot, and welcomed dogs at the ceremony. There truly is no right way to have a wedding. Whatever makes you and your partner happy and excited, go for it—even if it means getting grass stains on your wedding dress playing kickball. The most important aspect of the wedding to us was having people around us who make us feel loved and secure.
What advice do you have for vendors and venues working with LGBTQ+ couples?
For any vendors and venues working with LGBTQ+ couples, changing the typical designations of “bride” and “groom” on the website would make it far more comfortable for everyone involved! Especially if there is a dropdown menu for choices, include “Partner 1” and “Partner 2” because Jozy is pretty gender fluid and the term “bride” doesn’t exactly fit her. Also, being overly excited about serving a queer couple can still alienate people even though it’s generally seen as accepting. Just be helpful and accommodating but try not to “other” the couple in question!
Search our directory of LGBTQ+ inclusive vendors.
Photographer: Best Northwest Photography
Ceremony Venue: Beaver Lake Lodge, WA
Attire for Partner 1: BHLDN by Anthropologie
Attire for Partner 2: J Crew
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Booksmart Actress Beanie Feldstein Engaged to Bonnie Chance Roberts
- Ohio Fall Wedding with Irish Hand Fasting
- Sunrise engagement session on the beach of Asbury Park New Jersey
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC
- An intimate wedding at Smale Riverfront Park in Cincinnati, OH
- Good Omens–inspired styled elopement with angelic forms, red poppies, goblets and crosses
- Intimate Mountain Wedding in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada
- Intimate garden wedding and “booze cruise” boat dance party in Salem, Massachusetts
- Engagement session at Matheson Hammock Park in Miami, FL