American Idol contestant Jorgie came out as gay during his audition
Israeli-born American Idol contestant Jorgie came out as gay during his audition. He came in wearing army fatigues and a pink fur coat, accompanied by his own band, Jorgie and the Jorgies.
Jorgie began by imitating judge Katy Perry’s singing voice in “California Gurls.” Then he explained that he’d recently come out and was partially inspired by Perry to do so.
“You were actually one of my inspirations growing up. Listening to ‘I Kissed A Girl’ and knowing that it could be mainstream—that helped me so much,” Jorgie said.
The episode was also his way of coming out to his father. “He doesn’t know anything about me,” the contestant explained. “He’s gonna see me and he’s gonna find out about everything.”
After, he launched into auditioning his original song, “Heaven,” which he wrote about a boy he liked.
“I wrote this song about a guy that I liked, but he didn’t know cause I wasn’t out. It was just like, ‘My life would be heaven if you knew that I liked you,’” Jorgie explained.
Jorgie nailed his audition, and all three judges gave him the yes to go to the main stage in Hollywood.
“When I say you nailed it, I mean, to the point of in awe. I love what you just did,” judge Lionel Ritchie told him.
Katy Perry’s parting message for Jorgie was, “We love you just the way you are.”
Alaina Leary Lavoie
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Joyful intimate wedding outside Chicago with geometric arch and outfit change
- 5 epic LGBTQ+ wedding photos we are just so thankful exist
- Romantic Malibu engagement session by the beach
- Outdoor New Jersey wedding filled with love and sunflowers
- Bright and cheery sixties-inspired wedding ideas
- Breathtaking Sedona elopement surrounded by close friends and family
- Inclusivity in the wedding industry: faux allies, transphobia and performative actions
- Stunning and joyful elopement at Colorado’s Garden of the Gods
- “Same Love” singer Mary Lambert is engaged
- Autumn engagement session at the base of Nevada’s Mt. Charleston
- WNBA legend Renee Montgomery reveals she and music artist Sirena Grace got married
- Two stars of Amazon’s lesbian reality show, Tampa Baes, are engaged
- Rustic and modern October wedding in a Mississippi barn
- Intimate and enchanting wedding at a Pittsburgh flower garden
- Epic surprise proposal during a styled shoot on the shores of Mallorca
- LGBTQ+ people in Spain now have access to IVF treatment to build their families
- Four reasons LGBTQ+ couples should consider a Charleston honeymoon
- California engagement session surrounded by sparkling trees
- Kristen Stewart and Dylan Meyer are engaged!
- How Frank Darling can help LGBTQ+ couples design the perfect custom rings