Apple is taking a further step towards equality with its release of emojis available with the latest iOS update. The update will include three gender neutral emojis – a child, an adult and a senior citizen.
Gender neutrality is the largest step toward inclusivity Apple has taken since its release of racially diverse emojis in early 2015. Like most other human emojis currently available, users will have a choice of hair and skin color for their gender neutral emojis.
RELATED: Apple supports same-sex marriage
In addition, the new emojis will include a woman with a hijab, a fairy and the American Sign Language symbol for, “I love you.”
Also on the release is an orange heart emoji. On its own it doesn’t sound like much, but knowing that we can finally express our pride effectively with a complete rainbow of hearts makes us happy.
The emojis are part of the iOS 11.1 update for iPhone and iPad users.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- These are the top destinations for LGBTQ+ Pride events this year
- 11 wedding hats that will make your day as dapper as possible
- Should you both propose? 4 questions to consider before asking
- This fall countryside wedding has all the moody, romantic vibes you need
- 5 spring weddings we love that make great seasonal inspiration
- This romantic fall wedding has some seriously gorgeous foliage
- 5 things I’ve learned about LGBTQ+ weddings as an Equally Wed editor
- Tropical destination white beach wedding in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- Harry Potter wedding ideas for an absolutely magical day
- This couple took photos with their dog at Downeast Cider in Boston