Black doesn’t seem to be the color people many people associate with weddings, but more and more people are incorporating the color into their cake decor, and sometimes their other food offerings.
The black food trend started off when black ice cream hit Instagram, complete with a black cone. Black ice cream is typically made with activated charcoal, which is what gives the food its incredibly dark color.
A post shared by Little Damage Ice Cream shop🍴🌍 (@little.damage) on
The black food trend has transferred over to cake, with black wedding cake popping up at more and more weddings. Black decorations can be achieved with fondant, creating different imprints, designs and more. Black can also create a chalkboard look, making the cake a canvas for writing and decoration.
The black cake trend extends beyond cake decorating, all the way to the inside of the cake! Much deeper in color than chocolate, black velvet cake is as dark as midnight, and makes a beautiful contrast with white frosting.
Black wedding cake comes with a health disclaimer though. Many black foods are created using active charcoal. If you are serving food containing active charcoal, be sure to educate your guests about its effects. While it is deemed safe for consumption, eating charcoal can make birth control less effective.
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal
- Heather + Tiffany: Sunday morning brunch love shoot
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married
- Wedding suit inspiration from 6 top queer influencers for your big day