Catchy Australian marriage equality anthem will stick in your head all day
Australia is in the midst of getting ready for their vote on marriage equality. One Australian composer, Josh Belperio, created a marriage equality anthem music video directed at Malcolm Turnbull, Prime Minister of Australia. With a boppy, Broadway musical-esque tune, Belperio and his accompanying vocals serenade Malcom Turnbull in the song, appropriately named, “Dear Malcolm Turnbull.”
“Oh I know it must be hard to lead the government of Australia,” Belperio and his back-up chime. “When some aren’t comfortable with loving couples who have matching genitalia.”
Belperio offers Turnbull some advice on how to run the government, and that’s when the beat turns catchy and you might just start dancing in your chair and singing along. “Dear Malcolm Turnbull” shares what it’s like to be LGBTQ in Australia and feel unsupported and disrespected.
“If you’re gonna hold a plebiscite, then I’m gonna rally, march and fight ’till I know I can hold my partner’s hand without a sense of fear,” is the message Belperio sends home in this video, and is the reason we have replayed this video and sang out loud more times than we can count.
And if you’re wondering, a plebiscite is, “a vote by which the people of an entire country or district express an opinion for or against a proposal especially on a choice of government or ruler.” Thanks, Merriam-Webster, for having our backs on that one.
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- LGBTQ+ Inclusive and Affirming Wedding Venue Spotlight: Filoli
- Halle and Kayden’s Mount Rainier National Park Destination Wedding
- Where to propose at Universal Studios Florida and Universal’s Islands of Adventure
- How to plan a fall wedding on a budget
- 5 mocktail recipes for your sober wedding guests
- 2023 LGBTQ+ wedding trends to watch for
- Jamie and Ashley’s florescent and fun May wedding at Greenhouse Lofts in Chicago
- Simple and elegant winter wedding for two brides in Santa Ana, California
- Low-key Louisville, Kentucky, wedding celebrates chosen family, queer joy and spirituality
- A weed wedding with earthy, elegant details
- Romantic Santorini sunset proposal
- Outdoor summer wedding in Acadia National Park