Colorful summer wedding at Chicago’s Ravenswood Event Center
Katie and Natalie’s colorful summer wedding wedding at Chicago’s Ravenswood Event Center took place on all three floors of their venue. Their big day included a gorgeous, light-filled ceremony, an intimate loft-style cocktail hour, and dinner in the showroom with vintage cars and neon signs. The marriers’ goal was a personal, intimate vibe. Natalie’s aunt officiated the ceremony, and the marriers read their own vows to each other. Their wedding party consisted of each of their brothers, along with two ring bearers and a flower girl. Katie and Natalie planned the wedding themselves and included many personal touches, such as invitations designed by Katie and the lily bouquets in memory of Natalie’s late pup, Lily.
NATALIE + KATIE’S LOVE STORY
Where do we begin? It all started in January 2017 over the World Wide Web. Yes, internet dating brought us together. Natalie sent Katie a message, and the rest was history. We instantly bonding over our love for animals, sports, food, and bourbon/whiskey.
Katie instantly fell for Natalie’s six-year-old snaggletooth boxer, Lily. She wiggled her way into her heart. The same couldn’t be said for Natalie and Izzy, Katie’s 13-year-old cat. Natalie had a distinct fear of cats. The first time they met, Natalie stood frozen in the doorway until Katie reassured her that Izzy wasn’t going to attack. Without fail, over time Natalie realized that Izzy only wants three things in life: food (any carbohydrate), quality scratches behind the ears, and a sunny place to slumber. It wasn’t long before Lily and Izzy met. Izzy was quick to see that Lily was a gentle giant, and both realized they would be seeing a lot of each other.
We both grew up playing various sports and both love to attend sporting events. Katie especially loves attending any and all of Northwestern University sporting events, especially NU Softball. We also very much enjoy attending Chicago Cubs games at Wrigley Field and indulging in Old Style and hot dogs. The extended love of sports that runs through both of our families brought us together even more.
We had our first date at Quigley’s Irish pub in Naperville and spent six hours laughing and talking. The second date accidentally coincided with Valentine’s Day, and again, we laughed and talked so long that the waiter had to ask us to leave as chairs were being put up around us. By date number four we knew we had something special. We continued to date, meeting halfway between the far north and far south suburbs of Chicago for over a year.
Natalie proposed to Katie in December of 2017. We planned a weekend getaway in Saugatuck, Michigan, in early December before the holidays. On that Saturday morning as snow was falling outside, Natalie presented Katie with a box…barely before her eyes were open. Katie instantly reminded Natalie that we had promised “no gifts” for our getaway. Natalie reassured her that it wasn’t a Christmas gift. Katie then asked for a cup of coffee first and was quickly denied. Reluctantly, Katie began to open the box to find two coffee mugs displaying our initials N & K. She picked up one of the mugs, which had a ring in it, and the question “will you marry me” written at the very bottom. Katie returned the proposal in the spring. She surprised Natalie with a scavenger hunt that ended with a ring and the same question after all of the clues. We both said YES and our future together forever began.
Photographer: Emma Mullins Photography
Cake Designer: Molly’s Cupcakes
Jewelry: Karat Jewelry Group
DJ: Cage And Aquarium
Dress Designer: White One Bridal
Dress Designer: Eddy K Italia
Reception Venue: Ravenswood Event Center
Equally Wed Editors
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Oklahoma elopement in the Wichita Mountains with enchanting all-black attire
- Creative LGBTQ+ wedding ideas for your clients
- This couple transformed their home into a fabulous wedding venue
- Botswana court of appeals hears case on decriminalization of homosexuality
- Cozy at home proposal with coffee and kisses
- Cardi B surprise officiated a lesbian wedding with help from Raven Symoné
- Keep an eye out for these 2022 wedding trends
- September garden wedding at a 15th century Italian villa
- Lesbian brides accidentally wore the same dress and the first look photos are priceless
- Glowing sunset wedding in Glacier National Park
- Dreamy greenhouse engagement session in New Jersey
- How to choose a wedding hairstyle
- Backyard South Carolina wedding on the lake
- Broadway stars create world’s first LGBTQ+ lullaby album
- Ozarks engagement session after a meet cute in the operating room
- 4 companies that offer Ketubah texts for LGBTQ+ couples
- How wedding vendors can show they are LGBTQ+ inclusive
- Florida golf club wedding with wooden arch and log cake
- Bright and bold mid-century modern wedding ideas
- Actress Molly Bernard marries girlfriend Hannah Lieberman in Brooklyn celebration