Community was at the heart of this floral summer wedding
Dani and Katie had a floral summer wedding in Long Island, New York, that was filled with community support and love. They were engaged for a year-and-a-half before Dani proposed and they got married in August.
What advice would you give to engaged LGBTQ+ couples?
Support our community and hire as many queers as you can! Make sure all the people you are working with respect the language you use [bride/groom/pronouns] or they aren’t worth working with. Don’t be afraid to be authentic—it is your wedding and you can make it as queer or traditional as you want.
Advice for vendors and venues working with LGBTQ+ couples?
Pay attention to your language. It is important to be inclusive and thoughtful about the things you say. Consider gender-neutral signs for bathrooms. Focus on accessibility. Really listen and ask questions so you don’t assume something they may not want.
Did you encounter any pleasant surprises as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
It was nice to work with so many amazing people and we felt that helped build a community around our wedding. It was also nice to see that the businesses we chose were donating a portion of their fees to non-profit organizations of our choice.
What challenges did you face as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
Our families did not know how to talk to us about our wedding because they didn’t know what to expect and didn’t ask questions.
Photographer: De Nueva Photography
Venue: The Bates House
Florist: Calluna Flora, Heather Murphy-Spagnoli
Planner: Modern Rebel Co., Ainsley Blattel
Invitations: Paper Source
Jewelry: Anna Sheffield
Catering: Grace and Grit
Pie: Briermere Farm
Alaina Leary Lavoie
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Pantone reveals classic blue as its 2020 Color of the Year
- The Knot, Pinterest and Zola will stop promoting plantation weddings
- This surprise flash mob dance party proposal will move you to tears
- Romantic engagement photos at Milwaukee Central Public Library
- TikTok is limiting the reach of LGBTQ+, disabled and fat people’s videos
- My husband and I honeymooned in South Africa. Here’s why we loved it
- Tropical blue and green beach wedding in St. Petersburg, Florida
- 6 real weddings that will get you in a cozy mood for the holidays
- How we organized our wedding party from across the country
- How my family lives a minimalist lifestyle so we can travel