Community was at the heart of this floral summer wedding
Dani and Katie had a floral summer wedding in Long Island, New York, that was filled with community support and love. They were engaged for a year-and-a-half before Dani proposed and they got married in August.
What advice would you give to engaged LGBTQ+ couples?
Support our community and hire as many queers as you can! Make sure all the people you are working with respect the language you use [bride/groom/pronouns] or they aren’t worth working with. Don’t be afraid to be authentic—it is your wedding and you can make it as queer or traditional as you want.
Advice for vendors and venues working with LGBTQ+ couples?
Pay attention to your language. It is important to be inclusive and thoughtful about the things you say. Consider gender-neutral signs for bathrooms. Focus on accessibility. Really listen and ask questions so you don’t assume something they may not want.
Did you encounter any pleasant surprises as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
It was nice to work with so many amazing people and we felt that helped build a community around our wedding. It was also nice to see that the businesses we chose were donating a portion of their fees to non-profit organizations of our choice.
What challenges did you face as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
Our families did not know how to talk to us about our wedding because they didn’t know what to expect and didn’t ask questions.
Photographer: De Nueva Photography
Venue: The Bates House
Florist: Calluna Flora, Heather Murphy-Spagnoli
Planner: Modern Rebel Co., Ainsley Blattel
Invitations: Paper Source
Jewelry: Anna Sheffield
Catering: Grace and Grit
Pie: Briermere Farm
Alaina Leary Lavoie
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Joyful intimate wedding outside Chicago with geometric arch and outfit change
- 5 epic LGBTQ+ wedding photos we are just so thankful exist
- Romantic Malibu engagement session by the beach
- Outdoor New Jersey wedding filled with love and sunflowers
- Bright and cheery sixties-inspired wedding ideas
- Breathtaking Sedona elopement surrounded by close friends and family
- Inclusivity in the wedding industry: faux allies, transphobia and performative actions
- Stunning and joyful elopement at Colorado’s Garden of the Gods
- “Same Love” singer Mary Lambert is engaged
- Autumn engagement session at the base of Nevada’s Mt. Charleston
- WNBA legend Renee Montgomery reveals she and music artist Sirena Grace got married
- Two stars of Amazon’s lesbian reality show, Tampa Baes, are engaged
- Rustic and modern October wedding in a Mississippi barn
- Intimate and enchanting wedding at a Pittsburgh flower garden
- Epic surprise proposal during a styled shoot on the shores of Mallorca
- LGBTQ+ people in Spain now have access to IVF treatment to build their families
- Four reasons LGBTQ+ couples should consider a Charleston honeymoon
- California engagement session surrounded by sparkling trees
- Kristen Stewart and Dylan Meyer are engaged!
- How Frank Darling can help LGBTQ+ couples design the perfect custom rings