This mom’s wedding speech will make you cry in the best way
Brendon and Eric got engaged at Longacre Theater in New York City in November 2017. They got married on September 29, 2018, at the Cipriani 25 Broadway. They wanted to share a video of Brendon’s mom’s heartfelt wedding speech.
Brendon writes, “When and if one chooses to come out to their parents/family, there are many situations and reactions which can arise: Embraced acceptance; accepting it ( but that part of the person’s life is not discussed) and unfortunately, there are still many rejected by their family too, Today, there are even some people who can’t live as their true selves. I came out in 2004. I’m not sure if any parents are excited about the thought of their child being gay, but I will tell you I’m one of the lucky ones. When I came out, my parents said, ‘Brendon, we love you no matter who you are.’ From that day forward, initially by joining PFLAG, they have been the most proactive parents in understanding what being gay means and learning as much about the community as they can. They are allies and outspoken supporters of gay and equal rights, and can even say they are proud to have a gay son. The other day I was reminded of how lucky I am. I was in the car with my father having a discussion and I made a comment that someone we knew was ‘very gay.’ His answer was, ‘Really? I never think about those things so I didn’t notice. People are people to me. It doesn’t matter who you are as long as you’re a good person.’ I found this very emotional, not sure why, because I think many people do feel this way; I just felt really proud to have a father who can honestly feel and say that.
On our wedding day, there was one speech to be given and it would be by my parents. This was a speech for everyone, a speech I only could have dreamed of hearing any LGBTQ+ wedding or event. This is my mother (reading a speech which both my parents contributed to). I am so proud to be your son. I can never say thank you enough for all of your love and support, Mom and Dad. Eric and I are so lucky to have two sets of supportive families.”
Videographer: Kiss The Bride Films
Photographer: Laffler Photography
Planner: State of the Art NY
Music: Hank Lane Music
Flower Design: Konstantinos Floral Design
Alaina Leary Lavoie
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Sunset, books and basketball maternity photos
- Glamorous vintage wedding at The Tides Estate in New Jersey
- Floral bohemian elopement inspiration at Joshua Tree
- Epic spring Garden of the Gods elopement with dog attendants
- Royal and elegant wedding at Crest Hollow Country Club
- Small summer destination wedding in Perth, Western Australia
- United Methodist Church on verge of split over same-sex marriage and LGBTQ+ clergy
- Moody, fun summer backyard wedding in Los Angeles, California
- Intimate sunset beach wedding ceremony in La Jolla, California
- LGBTQ-friendly birthing and doula group forms in D.C.