Roxane Gay and Debbie Millman are officially engaged
If you’re as obsessed with Roxane Gay—New York Times bestselling author, editor, professor and founder of Gay Mag on Medium—as I am, you’ll be thrilled to learn that she and her girlfriend Debbie Millman (artist, designer, writer and host of the podcast “Design Matters“) are officially engaged.
Millman shared the news of their engagement on Instagram last night and it’s romantic AF. Bonus points for the fact that the post, if you read it as a carousel, is actually poetry. I’m not crying, you’re crying.
Autostraddle first reported Millman and Gay’s romantic relationship in June of this year, sharing that the two met when Millman reached out to Gay for her podcast “Design Matters.” Millman came out later in life and had a hard time connecting with the queer community. To entice Gay into being a guest, she began inviting other guests to her podcast that she knew Gay would be interested in. After Gay was eventually a guest on “Design Matters,” Millman asked her out on an official date.
“I’m the luckiest woman alive,” Debbie told Autostraddle’s Carmen Phillips. “It was the first time in my life that I aggressively went after someone.” Talking about their first date, Gay said, “We talked and I spilled wine on her because I’m so cool and then we went outside and she asked if she could kiss me and then she did.”
Earlier this year, Roxane Gay launched her online publication on Medium, Gay Mag. In her editorial letter to readers introducing the magazine, Gay wrote, “Representation matters so inclusion is integral to everything we do. We will not tokenize. We will embrace not only diverse writers but diverse voices and aesthetics.”
Congratulations, Debbie Millman and Roxane Gay!
Alaina Leary Lavoie
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Pantone reveals classic blue as its 2020 Color of the Year
- The Knot, Pinterest and Zola will stop promoting plantation weddings
- This surprise flash mob dance party proposal will move you to tears
- Romantic engagement photos at Milwaukee Central Public Library
- TikTok is limiting the reach of LGBTQ+, disabled and fat people’s videos
- My husband and I honeymooned in South Africa. Here’s why we loved it
- Tropical blue and green beach wedding in St. Petersburg, Florida
- 6 real weddings that will get you in a cozy mood for the holidays
- How we organized our wedding party from across the country
- How my family lives a minimalist lifestyle so we can travel