Roxane Gay and Debbie Millman are officially engaged
If you’re as obsessed with Roxane Gay—New York Times bestselling author, editor, professor and founder of Gay Mag on Medium—as I am, you’ll be thrilled to learn that she and her girlfriend Debbie Millman (artist, designer, writer and host of the podcast “Design Matters“) are officially engaged.
Millman shared the news of their engagement on Instagram last night and it’s romantic AF. Bonus points for the fact that the post, if you read it as a carousel, is actually poetry. I’m not crying, you’re crying.
Autostraddle first reported Millman and Gay’s romantic relationship in June of this year, sharing that the two met when Millman reached out to Gay for her podcast “Design Matters.” Millman came out later in life and had a hard time connecting with the queer community. To entice Gay into being a guest, she began inviting other guests to her podcast that she knew Gay would be interested in. After Gay was eventually a guest on “Design Matters,” Millman asked her out on an official date.
“I’m the luckiest woman alive,” Debbie told Autostraddle’s Carmen Phillips. “It was the first time in my life that I aggressively went after someone.” Talking about their first date, Gay said, “We talked and I spilled wine on her because I’m so cool and then we went outside and she asked if she could kiss me and then she did.”
Earlier this year, Roxane Gay launched her online publication on Medium, Gay Mag. In her editorial letter to readers introducing the magazine, Gay wrote, “Representation matters so inclusion is integral to everything we do. We will not tokenize. We will embrace not only diverse writers but diverse voices and aesthetics.”
Congratulations, Debbie Millman and Roxane Gay!
Alaina Leary Lavoie
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC
- An intimate wedding at Smale Riverfront Park in Cincinnati, OH
- Good Omens–inspired styled elopement with angelic forms, red poppies, goblets and crosses
- Intimate Mountain Wedding in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada
- Intimate garden wedding and “booze cruise” boat dance party in Salem, Massachusetts
- Engagement session at Matheson Hammock Park in Miami, FL
- Why Taha’a could be your dream honeymoon destination
- Boho garden wedding inspiration at Haiku I Do, Asheville
- Magical Moorea enchants for LGBTQ+ couples