Roxane Gay and Debbie Millman are officially engaged
If you’re as obsessed with Roxane Gay—New York Times bestselling author, editor, professor and founder of Gay Mag on Medium—as I am, you’ll be thrilled to learn that she and her girlfriend Debbie Millman (artist, designer, writer and host of the podcast “Design Matters“) are officially engaged.
Millman shared the news of their engagement on Instagram last night and it’s romantic AF. Bonus points for the fact that the post, if you read it as a carousel, is actually poetry. I’m not crying, you’re crying.
Autostraddle first reported Millman and Gay’s romantic relationship in June of this year, sharing that the two met when Millman reached out to Gay for her podcast “Design Matters.” Millman came out later in life and had a hard time connecting with the queer community. To entice Gay into being a guest, she began inviting other guests to her podcast that she knew Gay would be interested in. After Gay was eventually a guest on “Design Matters,” Millman asked her out on an official date.
“I’m the luckiest woman alive,” Debbie told Autostraddle’s Carmen Phillips. “It was the first time in my life that I aggressively went after someone.” Talking about their first date, Gay said, “We talked and I spilled wine on her because I’m so cool and then we went outside and she asked if she could kiss me and then she did.”
Earlier this year, Roxane Gay launched her online publication on Medium, Gay Mag. In her editorial letter to readers introducing the magazine, Gay wrote, “Representation matters so inclusion is integral to everything we do. We will not tokenize. We will embrace not only diverse writers but diverse voices and aesthetics.”
Congratulations, Debbie Millman and Roxane Gay!
Alaina Leary Lavoie
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- An incredible educational offer for wedding and event pros
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal
- Heather + Tiffany: Sunday morning brunch love shoot
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot