Cozumel beach wedding followed by Texas reception with rainbow cake and balloon display
Terry + Corey
Orientation: Gay; Gay
Pronouns: He/Him; He/Him
Ceremony Location: Cozumel, Mexico
Reception Location: Plano, Texas
Terry and Corey wanted a simple wedding, but one that still had beautiful decor that gave guests a “wow” factor. Before their larger reception in Texas, they had a small sunset wedding on the beach in Cozumel, accompanied by 12 loved ones.
At the party, the color palette was navy blue, royal blue, pewter, and white. The reception included a signature drink, a unique centerpiece at every table, and a large “Mr. and Mr.” balloon display. To give the festivities a dash of Pride, the grooms also enjoyed a gorgeous rainbow cake.
Known for their love of shots, the couple made their grand entrance to the song “Shots.” Tequila was passed out to everyone and the couple took a shot with all of their guests.
What advice would you give to engaged LGBTQ+ couples?
Follow Your Heart. Be Determined. There was a point where we both were giving up on dating. There will be that perfect person for you. Dating and marriage will never be easy. It takes dedication and work from the both of you. We love each other and because we never lose our spark and touch, we are each other’s forever. Best choice we both made was to not give up, give it another chance, and have an open heart for someone else. Remember, just like us, you may not be perfect but you’re perfect for each other.
Advice for vendors and venues working with LGBTQ+ couples?
Don’t discriminate based on who people love. It’s hurtful. Please understand that we have been through a lot, oftentimes having our hearts set on working with someone only to find that they won’t work with us. It’s a frustrating process so being patient and understanding is important. Also, never assume anything. Please always ask. Most times we are an open book.
What challenges did you face as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
Discrimination. Our venue canceled our wedding once they found out we were a same sex couple. They turned our entire plan upside down and truly hurt us. Covid was challenging as well. We had to book a larger reception space in order to adhere to the 6ft rule regarding tables. We paid for costly plated dinners for guests that didn’t show up due to Covid concerns.
Search our directory of LGBTQ+ inclusive vendors.
Pre Reception Photos: Photography by Claire Rogers
Decor and Room Reveal Photos: Ada Lee Photography
Reception and Candid Photos: Daniel Visuals
Ceremony Venue: Sunscape Sabor in Cozumel
Reception Venue: Renaissance Plano Legacy West
Florist: Creative 1 Events
Planner: Beyond Posh Events
Invitation Designer: Minted Weddings
Attire: Jos.A. Banks; Louis Vuitton; Calvin Klein
Cake: Petite Sweets
Designer/Decorator: Beyond Posh Events
Lighting and Photobooth: Any Event Productions
Acrylic Signs: JPC Graphics
filed under: LGBTQ+ wedding, LGBTQ+ love, LGBTQ+ wedding Texas, LGBTQ+ wedding Mexico
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Get inspired by the romantic vibes at this Minneapolis candlelit wedding
- Quirky and sweet Colorado couple’s scene-matching city photo shoot
- A new bill aims to protect same-sex marriage. What would it do if Obergefell falls?
- Sentimental Elements Shine For These Two Brides’ Virginia Beach Wedding Featuring Bourbon, Rainbows and a Plethora of Family Support
- Colorful New York Rainbow Wedding Featuring A Drag Queen, Handmade Arch and Boho Decor
- Booksmart Actress Beanie Feldstein Engaged to Bonnie Chance Roberts
- Ohio Fall Wedding with Irish Hand Fasting
- Sunrise engagement session on the beach of Asbury Park New Jersey
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC