Elegant New Orleans destination wedding for contest winners
Virginia couple Lee and Sable were the lucky winners of an absolutely free destination wedding in New Orleans. The contest, coordinated by Waning Moon Weddings, required the couple to hand over complete control of their celebration to the vendors, which was only a challenge until they experienced the Waning Moon Team’s incredible vision.
“We wanted to wow them with a bold design and amazing detail,” says a Waning Moon representative.
The exquisite, intimate wedding, complete with luscious florals and a live painter, took place on November 10, 2019 at the New Orleans Center for Creative Arts. For their first dance, Lee and Sable chose What a Wonderful Thing Love Is by Al Green.
“Remember that you have to keep falling in love as you grow and change,” the couple writes. “Getting to know each other will be a lifetime adventure.”
What challenges did you face as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
Because we were working with inclusive vendors already, we trusted them fully. Sable is a stickler for detail and planning so she had a moment of trouble handing over the reins. But once we got to speak with LaToya (Waning Moon Weddings) and a few of the other vendors, we knew everything would be perfect!
Our biggest hurdle was family. The dynamics around family always show during moments like this. But at the end of the day, the people that were most important were there and it was one of the best days of our lives!
Advice for vendors and venues working with LGBTQ+ couples?
Be honest and transparent while being mindful. This is a WEDDING! Not just a “gay wedding” or “trans wedding.” We are as gentle and nervous on our big day as any other couple.
Did you encounter any pleasant surprises as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
Yes, from family! Personal thoughts about our life came up that we didn’t even know existed!
Search our directory of LGBTQ+ inclusive vendors.
Photographer: Capture Studio NOLA
Venue: The NOCCA Institute
Florist: Fat Cat Flowers
Coordinator: Waning Moon Weddings
Planner: Michelle Norwood Events
Invitations: Upscales Customs
Attire for Lee: Jos A Banks (suit) & XIUWU (shoes)
Attire for Sable: Kiss Bridal 001 (dress) & IDIFU (shoes)
Catering: Cafe Orleans Catering
Cake: Bitter Sweet NOLA
Officiant: Waning Moon Weddings
Accommodations: Macarty House
Bridal Assistant: The Bridal Citizen
Reception: Tap Truck & Bar
Linens: Tablecloths 4 You
Custom 2nd Line Umbrellas: Sincerely Yours Juana
Live Painter: Heather McNamara
Cocktail hour: JusTini Coktails
Rehearsal Brunch Designer: B. Sherrie Luxury Designs
Brunch Caterer: Beaucoup Eats
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Joyful intimate wedding outside Chicago with geometric arch and outfit change
- 5 epic LGBTQ+ wedding photos we are just so thankful exist
- Romantic Malibu engagement session by the beach
- Outdoor New Jersey wedding filled with love and sunflowers
- Bright and cheery sixties-inspired wedding ideas
- Breathtaking Sedona elopement surrounded by close friends and family
- Inclusivity in the wedding industry: faux allies, transphobia and performative actions
- Stunning and joyful elopement at Colorado’s Garden of the Gods
- “Same Love” singer Mary Lambert is engaged
- Autumn engagement session at the base of Nevada’s Mt. Charleston
- WNBA legend Renee Montgomery reveals she and music artist Sirena Grace got married
- Two stars of Amazon’s lesbian reality show, Tampa Baes, are engaged
- Rustic and modern October wedding in a Mississippi barn
- Intimate and enchanting wedding at a Pittsburgh flower garden
- Epic surprise proposal during a styled shoot on the shores of Mallorca
- LGBTQ+ people in Spain now have access to IVF treatment to build their families
- Four reasons LGBTQ+ couples should consider a Charleston honeymoon
- California engagement session surrounded by sparkling trees
- Kristen Stewart and Dylan Meyer are engaged!
- How Frank Darling can help LGBTQ+ couples design the perfect custom rings