Bold and colorful Wonder Woman–inspired wedding ideas
Katie and Jess met online, and immediately could not get enough of each other. Jess was unfortunately out of town when they began to chat, but that didn’t stop them from falling in love.
“We started talking around the clock,” Katie says. “She was still in California, which is three hours behind, so I was staying up until 3 and 4 in the morning to talk. We would talk for HOURS. She was supposed to stay in California for two and a half months but cut her trip short and started back to Pittsburgh one month early because we couldn’t wait any longer to meet in person.”
They talked on the phone for almost the entire 22 hours of Jess’s drive back home.
When they finally met, Katie says sparks flew instantly.
“I knew I was head over heels for her. I proposed only two weeks later. Sounds crazy, right? But I knew she was the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with.”
The couple married in a small ceremony on October 2019, and while planning for a big celebration later on, they decided to partake in a Wonder Woman–inspired photo shoot with Alisha Faith Photography . This allowed them to experiment with makeup, clothing, and hair–and also to have some fun celebrating their love once more.
The shoot took place at The Energy Innovation Center, a multi-use space with a gorgeous view that was once used as a trade school in the 1930s.
The shoot was inspired by the Wonder Woman movie, WW84. In addition to other nods to the movie, the couple wore bright and colorful makeup; the cake included a handmade gold sugar iris flower inspired by Wonder Woman’s golden armor; and the wording of the menus and welcome sign used an aesthetic inspired by the movie poster. The couple also posed with brightly colored confetti and smoke bombs as a way to celebrate being part of the LGBTQ+ community.
According to their photographer, Katie and Jess were the perfect Wonder Women.
Search our directory of LGBTQ+ inclusive vendors.
Photographer: Alisha Faith Photography
Planner: Julie Renee Events
Video: Motion Works
Venue: Energy Innovation Center
Linens: Party Mosaic
Design and Decor: Eventioneers
Invitations: Love Daily Stationary Design
Equipment Rentals: The Mustard Couch ; Brittany Anne’s Rentals
Floral: Posy Floral and Event Design
Makeup: See Jane Blush
Hair: Hair by Jenna DeGol
Dress Store: One White Lane Bridal Gallery
Dress Designer: Sophia Tolli, Stella York
Bakery: Love at First Bite; Cakes by Colby
Tuxedo: INC International Concepts
Submit your LGBTQ+ wedding or engagement for editorial consideration.
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- How to celebrate International Transgender Day of Visibility
- A winter wedding in Orlando, Florida, celebrating two brides and their son with a spiritual ceremony and vegan cake
- Lizzo and YITTY launch a gender-neutral shapewear line
- This destination elopement in Central Park featured couture velvet suit jackets and Star Wars cufflinks
- In celebration and memory of LGBTQ+ icon Paul O’Grady
- From a New York first date to a New Orleans fall LGBTQ+ wedding with a second line and Polaroid guest book
- Yes, you should schedule an engagement photoshoot!
- These grooms walked down the aisle together with their dog in their outdoor Savannah, Georgia, LGBTQ+ wedding