Fall golden hour mountain elopement with dog attendants
Maleah and Taylor got married in October and had an intimate and romantic golden hour elopement overlooking the mountains. They traveled from their home in Columbus, Ohio to get married in Asheville, North Carolina, after two years engaged (Taylor proposed to Maleah). They did their first dance to “Can’t Help Falling in Love” by Elvis Presley.
What advice would you give to engaged LGBTQ+ couples?
Do what makes you happy. Don’t conform to ideas that aren’t you. We knew non-traditional was our thing, so we ran with it. And we don’t regret what we did one bit.
What challenges did you face as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
Our biggest challenge was inviting people to our wedding. There were a lot of questions about who we should take or if we should take them. Our relationship has not been accepted well by some family members, so it was a difficult subject. We ended up going with our best friends who are our family and we plan to celebrate with the rest of our family and other friends for our one-year anniversary!
Did you encounter any pleasant surprises as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
I think the pleasant surprises came from everyone we touched base with in North Carolina. Our Airbnb host was great and we ran into several people who congratulated us during our pictures, which was awesome! When you’re an LGBTQ+ couple, sometimes you can feel on edge. To be honest, everyone involved in our wedding, North Carolina and friends made the whole experience something amazing.
Photographer: Eliza Bell Photography
Hair and Makeup: Lola Salon and Gallery
Florist: Elope Asheville
Planner: Elope Asheville
Attire: David’s Bridal
Cake: Wellbred Bakery
Alaina Leary Lavoie
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- “Dads” is a new book celebrating gay fatherhood
- How to reduce wedding-planning stress
- Philadelphia garden wedding with bold blue suit and cape sleeve gown
- Elegant engagement session after romantic New Year’s Eve proposal
- Wonderland-themed wedding inspiration in the gardens of O’ahu
- 6 gender-neutral LGBTQ+ inclusive wedding terms to make all couples feel included
- California Beach photo session to celebrate virtual wedding
- Couple flooded with kindness after Tennessee wedding venue rejected them for being gay
- 18 gorgeous face masks from Etsy for your Covid-safe wedding
- Colorado Gov. Jared Polis marries Marlon Reis and makes history
- How To Mix Up Tradition For Your LGBTQ+ Wedding
- Minimalist Louisiana wedding with floral cake and sparkler send off
- 6 stylish bow ties for autumn weddings
- WNBA teammates Jasmine Thomas and Natisha Hiedeman are engaged
- 6 children’s books that celebrate LGBTQ+ families
- 6 challenges straight couples don’t have to deal with when planning a wedding
- Desert LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration featuring native Arizona plants and a custom floral suit
- Celestial-themed Missouri wedding featuring navy and gold
- South Carolina engagement session celebrating LGBTQ+ love in the outdoors
- 5 floral fads in vogue for ’21 and ’22 weddings