Highlights magazine to feature same-sex couples
Highlights Magazine to feature same-sex couples, and One Million Moms is not happy
The magazine, founded in 1946, has agreed to begin depicting same-sex families in its publication.
“When we do show families in the magazines, we make it a point to include diversity,” says Christine Cully, Editor in Chief of “Highlights.” “We strive to be diverse in every way. The goal, however, is not to specifically call attention to diversity but instead to help kids understand that while differences exist, we are all actually more alike than different. For instance, from time to time we show families headed up by a grandparent or single parents. We show adoptive families, blended families, multi-generational families, and multi-racial families. In the future, we will depict same-sex families in our magazines in a manner consistent to the way all diverse families are depicted.”
One Million Moms is unhappy with the children’s magazine thinking it has the right to introduce same-sex families to their children, arguing it should be the right of the parents to teach their children.
“Many parents and grandparents buy subscriptions to these magazines as gifts, especially at this time of year,” One Million Moms writes. “They should be warned of the upcoming change of content in these kid’s magazines. This would be a deal breaker for conservative families. Parents are left with no other choice than to cancel their subscription. Even if 1MM didn’t disagree morally with the decision, it is not a magazines’ job to introduce so called “social issues” to children. That is a parent’s role.”
One Million Moms is blaming a lesbian mother who called and complained about the lack of same-sex parents in “Hello,” the version of “Highlights” for children zero through two years old. Prior to this, the magazine had the stance, similar to One Million Moms, that parents should have the ability to talk to their children about LGBTQ families on their own timeline. The organization is begging parents to take action and ask Highlights to “not cave into pressure from homosexual activists by including same-sex families in the magazines.”
If all it took was one mother to complain to make this more inclusive change then shout-out to her ! Looks like we’re buying Highlights for our kids this year.
For more information on their stance, visit OneMillionMoms.com
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- How to choose a wedding venue
- They is 2019’s word of the year
- Everything you need to know about planning your LGBTQ+ honeymoon
- National groups blast GOP federal LGBTQ rights bill as permitting ‘licenses to discriminate’ by wedding vendors, religious groups
- Romantic engagement photos at Milwaukee Central Public Library
- This surprise flash mob dance party proposal will move you to tears
- Pantone reveals classic blue as its 2020 Color of the Year
- The Knot, Pinterest and Zola will stop promoting plantation weddings
- TikTok is limiting the reach of LGBTQ+, disabled and fat people’s videos
- My husband and I honeymooned in South Africa. Here’s why we loved it