Essential information about getting legally married in Hawaii



Anna and Hannah married on the beaches of Hawaii. Photo by Torie McMillan Photography 

When does gay marriage go into effect in Hawaii?

Same-sex couples are currently able to have legally recognized marriage ceremonies.


Do I have to live in Hawaii to get legally married there?


Where can I apply for a marriage license?

Same-sex couples are currently able to have legally recognized marriage ceremonies.


Is a blood test required?



Is there a waiting period to get the marriage license?





How soon after applying for a license can I get legally married?



Are there witnesses required in order to get legally married?



How much is the marriage license application fee?

It will cost you $60, and you’ll need to pay in cash.


How long is the marriage license valid for?

30 days.

Can I apply online for a marriage license?


Do we both have to be there to apply for our marriage license?



What paperwork is required when I apply for my marriage license?

You’ll need to fill out the marriage license application, as well as bring a valid form of ID (passport, driver’s license or birth certificate).


Who can officiate the marriage ceremony?

The marriage performer must be commissioned by the State of Hawaii, Department of Health.

If I don’t live in Hawaii, will my marriage be recognized by my home state?

The marriage will be respected in California, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington State and Washington, D.C. In Nevada, the marriage will be seen as a domestic partnership.

Is my Hawaii  gay marriage recognized by the U.S. federal government?

Yes, it is!

Is a divorce decree required?

Yes. You’ll need to provide the city, state, country of each previous marriage and the ending status, such as, by divorce or death. Home and work telephone numbers for both you and your ex(s) are also requested.

If I get legally married in Hawaii, will I still need special legal paperwork to protect my family?

Yes, if you plan to travel with your partner beyond the state of Hawaii,  it will be necessary for you to hire an attorney to draw up paperwork to protect your family in case something happens in a state where your marriage is not recognized. Read our expert advice on how to legally protect your relationship and children.