Getting ready to propose can be nerve wracking. Chances are you have spent a lot of time planning and ring shopping, and now the moment is here and you want everything to be perfect. No matter how many times you’ve talked about it with your partner and rehearsed it in your head, the underlying thought of “Will they say yes?” seems to always be in your mind. Stop. Take a deep breath. Focus on your love and why you want to spend the rest of your life with this person. Then read over our tips on how to add the finishing touches to your perfect proposal.
Look your partner in the eye, say their full name, tell them why you love them and ask them to marry you. Telling your partner why you want to spend the rest of your life with them is key, so be sure to speak confidently, clearly and slowly. Don’t hesitate or stress, and just enjoy the proposal. Treasure the moment and make it last. Afterall, you only get one proposal.
Get down on one knee
This may sound obvious, but if you’re going for a traditional proposal, be sure to get down on one knee if you are able. Not only will this add to the memory of your proposal, but it will also be a solidifying factor in the event that your partner thinks you are just saying sweet, loving words like you normally do.
Have a backup plan
No, we don’t mean what happens if they say no (don’t worry, they won’t). Having a backup plan means knowing what you will you do if the day does not go as planned. For example, if you plan to get engaged at the beach, what happens if it rains that day?. If you’ve flown all the family in for the proposal, can you reschedule your plans to the next day, or do you need an alternative? Creating a Plan B for any scenario that might arise is a great way to relieve any stress you may be feeling about the day.
Get a photographer/videographer
This is a moment you are going to treasure forever. Your partner’s reaction is one you will not want to forget for years to come. Consider hiring an equality-minded professional to capture your proposal. Can’t afford to hire a professional? Enlist the help of a friend to photograph or video your proposal. These are keepsakes you will treasure for years to come (and then you can submit your photos to Equally Wed)!
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married
- Wedding suit inspiration from 6 top queer influencers for your big day
- Nicole + Andrea: New York multicultural wedding with Caribbean roots (their first look photos are the sweetest!)
- New Orleans industrial wedding inspiration shoot