Intimate dinner party wedding with butterfly release ceremony
Mark and John’s love story spans decades. Wanting to celebrate their nuptials with their nearest and dearest by their side, they (along with their planner, STA Events), planned an extended course Spanish-inspired dinner menu with the head chef at their favorite local restaurant, Michael’s. For favors, each guest received a silk bag filled with their individual birthstones. Even the butterflies released during the ceremony knew it was a special day because one refused to leave and hung out on one of the marrier’s shoulders for over a half-hour before flying happily away!
Tell us about your wedding! What was the inspiration behind your day? Did you have a specific theme, style or color palette? Did you incorporate any cultural or religious traditions in any part of your day?
We highlighted the four elements: Earth, wind, fire and water throughout the entire wedding, reception and dinner.
Let’s talk wedding decor. How did you decorate your space for the ceremony and the reception? Was any part of the decor DIY?
We were married in an outdoor courtyard that was part of the restaurant we held our wonderful reception and outstanding 15-course, paired with wine for each specific course for dinner.
What were the florals like in your wedding? Did you use flowers in any of your design elements like the bridal bouquets, centerpieces or ceremony backdrop? Did they play an important part in the overall style of your wedding?
We hired a local florist to create the most spectacular tablescape/runner. We have never before seen something so stunning and it captured everything we wanted—all four elements.
Did you personalize the day in any way? What were some of your favorite parts of your wedding?
We hosted all the wedding guests beforehand for cocktails and a toast on the front porch of the B&B we were staying at. We had all of our guests picked up in the local trolley train and dripped off at the front door of the B&B. After the cocktails, we proceeded in unison as an entire group to the restaurant courtyard for the wedding. The 15-course meal—that also followed the same theme of the four elements—was prevalent throughout the dinner as prepared by Chef Michael Lugo. Each course had its own specifically selected wine to pair with the course.
Let’s talk fashion. How did you both choose your wedding day look? Describe the looks in detail.
Grey tuxedos with long tails, classic and stylish!
How did you meet? Tell us about the proposal.
We met at a bar nearly 28 years ago. Mark approached John to introduce himself. We played pool that night and had a great conversation. Mark asked him out that night for a date the next night. We went to a movie. We have been together ever since. Family is really important to both of us—we are extremely close. So Mark asked John to marry him in front of the entire family on Christmas Eve 2016. We were married on September 2, 2017.
What was the most anticipated or special moment of your wedding day?
The 15-course meal.
Do you have any wedding planning or marriage advice that you’d like to share with other couples planning their day?
Do you want you want and enjoy. There are no rules: It is your wedding. Everything else takes care of itself.
Photographer: Heather K. Purdy
Event Planner: STA Events
Event Venue: Michael’s
Alaina Leary Lavoie
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Joyful intimate wedding outside Chicago with geometric arch and outfit change
- 5 epic LGBTQ+ wedding photos we are just so thankful exist
- Romantic Malibu engagement session by the beach
- Outdoor New Jersey wedding filled with love and sunflowers
- Bright and cheery sixties-inspired wedding ideas
- Breathtaking Sedona elopement surrounded by close friends and family
- Inclusivity in the wedding industry: faux allies, transphobia and performative actions
- Stunning and joyful elopement at Colorado’s Garden of the Gods
- “Same Love” singer Mary Lambert is engaged
- Autumn engagement session at the base of Nevada’s Mt. Charleston
- WNBA legend Renee Montgomery reveals she and music artist Sirena Grace got married
- Two stars of Amazon’s lesbian reality show, Tampa Baes, are engaged
- Rustic and modern October wedding in a Mississippi barn
- Intimate and enchanting wedding at a Pittsburgh flower garden
- Epic surprise proposal during a styled shoot on the shores of Mallorca
- LGBTQ+ people in Spain now have access to IVF treatment to build their families
- Four reasons LGBTQ+ couples should consider a Charleston honeymoon
- California engagement session surrounded by sparkling trees
- Kristen Stewart and Dylan Meyer are engaged!
- How Frank Darling can help LGBTQ+ couples design the perfect custom rings