Iowa Same-Sex Couple Marries After 72 Years Together
After 72 years together, Vivian Boyack and Alice “Nonie” Dubes finally got to exchange wedding vows at First Christian Church, Davenport, Iowa.
Boyack, 91, and Dubes, 90, tied the knot surrounded by family and a small group of close friends. According to the Quad City Times, the two nonagenarians held hands as the Rev. Linda Hunsaker told the couple that, “This is a celebration of something that should have happened a very long time ago.”
Same-sex marriage has been legally recognized in Iowa since a decision of the Iowa Supreme Court on April 3, 2009. Marriage licenses and marriage equality became available to same-sex couples on April 27.
Photo by Thomas Geyer
MOST VIEWED STORIES
- Elegant outdoor wedding in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, for two expats
- Remembering The Day: How To Make Wedding Magic Last A Lifetime
- A destination elopement in Iceland with freshly picked blue lupine bouquets for pansexual brides
- Sunlit San Francisco wedding with evening boat cruise
- Traditional Episcopal wedding with quirky DIY touches