Iowa Same-Sex Couple Marries After 72 Years Together
After 72 years together, Vivian Boyack and Alice “Nonie” Dubes finally got to exchange wedding vows at First Christian Church, Davenport, Iowa.
Boyack, 91, and Dubes, 90, tied the knot surrounded by family and a small group of close friends. According to the Quad City Times, the two nonagenarians held hands as the Rev. Linda Hunsaker told the couple that, “This is a celebration of something that should have happened a very long time ago.”
Same-sex marriage has been legally recognized in Iowa since a decision of the Iowa Supreme Court on April 3, 2009. Marriage licenses and marriage equality became available to same-sex couples on April 27.
Photo by Thomas Geyer
Kirsten Ott Palladino
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Documentary-style candids highlight moments of everyday love for this newly engaged couple
- From OkCupid to a sunrise mountain wedding
- A destination wedding in Mexico with cold fireworks and an LED neon drum show
- Lawryn and Deja’s Richmond, Virginia, wedding at The Renaissance
- Wondery and Danvas founder Hernan Lopez marries music supervisor Scott Velasquez in West Hollywood wedding
- Classic black and white wedding ideas
- Say Yes to the Dress celebrity Randy Fenoli is engaged
- Tara and Emma’s purple and ivory wedding at Berkeley City Club in Berkeley, California